Schools for Gay Children in the US (That are of a poor quality of course)

The FBI

• 1 month later...

Why don't gay people just stop being gay?

I mean... boobs people?!! theyre fucking awesome

Also let's elect Romney so we can legitimately rape women without worrying about them getting pregnant already.

Also let's elect Romney so we can legitimately rape women without worrying about them getting pregnant already.

I'm so glad you don't run this website anymore. People like you... and I use that term in the lightest sense possible... don't deserve positions of power and responsibility. And hey, look what happened when you did have such a position! We had to start all over! That's pretty much the story of your political cause as a whole -- let's make everyone start over.

I'm so glad you don't run this website anymore. People like you... and I use that term in the lightest sense possible... don't deserve positions of power and responsibility. And hey, look what happened when you did have such a position! We had to start all over! That's pretty much the story of your political cause as a whole -- let's make everyone start over.

Not to be rude (which might sounds redundant for me since anyone who has seen my post that take place past midnight are essentially douchy rants, which is something that I won't pretend to deny.) but that guy isn't actually Spock. And I think that's a bit much, I mean we all can be a bit snarky when we express our political views, hell I'm kinda a massive asshole when I do that, but getting all riled up in response to some one's bad mood doesn't help anything.

It's called sarcasm.

I'm so glad YOU don't run this site anymore

• 3 weeks later...

If separate schools will work why not just go with separate neighborhoods etc and the homosexual community can go back to wearing pink triangles on their clothes. The problems need to be fixed in the schools. These kids will just have more trouble in the real world after school. I have gay friends and family, I'll see what they think of this tomorrow. Some 'Administrator' or 'Teacher' stands to keep or get a cushy administrative job and 'this new school' was the ticket.

My 2 cents.

If separate schools will work why not just go with separate neighborhoods etc and the homosexual community can go back to wearing pink triangles on their clothes. The problems need to be fixed in the schools. These kids will just have more trouble in the real world after school. I have gay friends and family, I'll see what they think of this tomorrow. Some 'Administrator' or 'Teacher' stands to keep or get a cushy administrative job and 'this new school' was the ticket.

My 2 cents.

+1  :thumbsup:

The irish were a minority in the north as well but they gained their rights by being militant. I don't see why the gays can't do the same in addition to democratic forms of struggle.

Being militant? Like that?

pink+tank.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Word. Have y'all heard of Bash Back? Or, shoot, the Stonewall riot that basically started the gay rights movement in America?

I actually am a strong believer in public school and the need to improve it rather than make competing alternatives, but in this case I can totally see the logic of a gay only school for kids. Even if the education is absolutely terrible, when you compare the lack of job prospects for graduates of these gay schools to the suicide, dropout and homelessness rate of GLBT youth, maybe it works out to a net positive?

Word. Have y'all heard of Bash Back? Or, shoot, the Stonewall riot that basically started the gay rights movement in America?

I actually am a strong believer in public school and the need to improve it rather than make competing alternatives, but in this case I can totally see the logic of a gay only school for kids. Even if the education is absolutely terrible, when you compare the lack of job prospects for graduates of these gay schools to the suicide, dropout and homelessness rate of GLBT youth, maybe it works out to a net positive?

I did not know about bash back, I have to thank you!

The obvious thing to do is to fund these schools better, and I personally thing that should be done, but that won't change anything.

Why is throwing money at this "problem" the obvious thing to do?  The US has been throwing money at public education in ever-increasing amounts and it hasn't solved anything.

Spending on education in the US - per capita and adjusted for inflation - has increased drastically year over year since 1930.  And student performance has decreased.

So we can conclude, since a negative correlation exists between spending and student performance, that money is not the problem. 

And you said yourself that this won't change anything.  So why would should something be done if it won't change anything.  That makes exactly zero sense. 

As for a separate school for gay kids, I think that idea is preposterous.  School isn't just about "reading, writing and 'rithmetic". (Well, in modern times it's not about "a little reading, substandard writing, something called 'new math', and a boatload of cultural sensitivity classes" either): the 'book learning" is only part of the picture; there's also the social aspect of it.  Learning to interact with people who are different from you; learning to communicate on many levels. 

By segregating gay kids you're doing them a disservice.  You're not preparing them to interact in the real world.  Unless, of course, you also carve out a portion of the country where only gay people can live. 

But then why stop there? Let's have a corner of the country carved out for blacks, with all-black schools, and all-black grocery stores, and hospitals. 

And those damned albinos.  Let's kick everyone out of Delaware and declare that Albinoland.  The "really whites only" district.  Albino schools. Albino banks.  The JCPenny Annual White Sale will be held there every weekend.

And so on and so forth.  If you're born this way or that, you risk being bullied.  I seem to recall redheads getting picked on when I was in school.  This kid Andy - red hair, fair skin, freckles.  The bullies called him Howdy Doody and gave him a wedgie.

Short kids!  Let's not forget about those pipsqueaks!  If you're under 5'2" you'd better move to Shortsville, NY lest you get bullied.  Everyone is short there.  You'll be safe.  Honest.

I recall my good friend Richard.  He was 5" throughout most of high school.  Constantly picked on by the football meatheads because they could pick him up.  So what did he do? Did he cry, and whine, and ask that a special school be set up for vertically challenged?  No - he took martial arts classes over the summer.  worked his ass off every day.  The next school year when Craig started slapping him around, Richard blocked the incoming swing and punched Craig square in the throat.  Knocked the wind out of him.

And Richard was never bullied again.

Self reliance is the answer.  There is only one person who knows what's best for you, and that's you.  You may have a bigger uphill battle than others, but climbing that hill is what defines who you are and builds your character.

Subrogating your personal protection to The State (in this case, the School System - or a different school system) does nothing but make you more of a victim.

School isn't just about "reading, writing and 'rithmetic". (Well, in modern times it's not about "a little reading, substandard writing, something called 'new math', and a boatload of cultural sensitivity classes" either): the 'book learning" is only part of the picture; there's also the social aspect of it.  Learning to interact with people who are different from you; learning to communicate on many levels.

I agree with this, and yet...

If I'm understanding correctly, this isn't as much for all gay kids as it is for kids who already have serious troubles and have been subjected to bullying which puts them in serious danger. Think of it as an exercise in harm reduction—separate but equal is bad, sure, but if the alternative is more gay kids killing themselves? I think that's a perfectly good trade off.

I was also fortunate to go to a public school and I consider learning to interact with people from different backgrounds than myself to be the most important thing I learned from it. But I also know that standing up to the bullies doesn't always work, in fact, sometimes it actually does make it worse.

Self-reliance is a great ideal, but it ignores the fact that there are real privileges, power differentials, and forms of social oppression that we aren't actually in control of, and are way bigger than us. Something has to be done to make that ideal of self-reliance workable and address those power dynamics.

Guest pockets

I feel like a lot of the comments in this thread are coming from a very privileged place.

Religious schools are fairly common where I live, & we have separate schools for children who speak our native language, so I really don't see a problem with a school that provides a safe place for gay teenagers.

I grew up with a lesbian mother, so I can tell you a thing or two about how small minded people can be, & how I was picked on a lot because of this. My attendance was so terrible in high school from being picked on, I had to see the Principal. More than Once. I had kids who were told not to play with me & when I was seven, my best friends parents changed her schools because they were very, very conservative christians & they didn't want her playing with me. Her parents wouldn't let her come to my house because they were scared of the influence my mother would have. My mother, who is not a bigot & doesn't let crappy adult politics ruin things for kids still allowed me to go to hers.

I can't say that if something like this had existed when I was a kid I wouldn't have gone. Chances are I would have. Some people need a place where they can be accepted & I think it's very ignorant to argue that it's silly & 'gays would have rights if they only fought for them trololol"

praying 2 gay jesus for the ignorant opinions.

• 5 weeks later...

Quite simply splitting schools by religion, sexual preference or any other method is divisive and teaches them about differences rather than similarities. It is ludicrous to have any school teaching just one religion in the 21st century. Therefore it would seem equally crazy to have gay schools.

Quite simply splitting schools by religion, sexual preference or any other method is divisive and teaches them about differences rather than similarities. It is ludicrous to have any school teaching just one religion in the 21st century. Therefore it would seem equally crazy to have gay schools.

"Teaching religion" has absolutely no place in schools.

"Teaching religion" has absolutely no place in schools.

No one is more of an atheist and Darwinist than I but teaching religion still has a place in school but not from the "this is what happened" perspective but from the "this is culturally important to a lot of people and worth understanding." All major religions should be taught to basic level but never as a link to history or evolution.

The problem is, Atlya, that people are still subconsciously influenced by the 'main' religion in their country even if they are atheists. To have a broader understanding helps remove these hidden ties.

No one is more of an atheist and Darwinist than I but teaching religion still has a place in school but not from the "this is what happened" perspective but from the "this is culturally important to a lot of people and worth understanding." All major religions should be taught to basic level but never as a link to history or evolution.

The problem is, Atlya, that people are still subconsciously influenced by the 'main' religion in their country even if they are atheists. To have a broader understanding helps remove these hidden ties.

"Teaching" religion is unacceptable, teaching "history" is tolerable. Religions are part of huanity's history (most often the darker side of it), it's not above it.

And no influence from the "main" religion around here for me. Religion = bullshit, all of them.

"Teaching" religion is unacceptable, teaching "history" is tolerable. Religions are part of huanity's history (most often the darker side of it), it's not above it.

And no influence from the "main" religion around here for me. Religion = bullshit, all of them.

It is not above it but it provides key understanding of culture and customs of countries and for someone such as me who is interested in people, cultures and the world I think it is great to understand different faiths that underpin behaviours in some areas. Imagine many others are the same.

If you pretend religion does not exist (which believe me I wish it did not) then you force stronger feelings, repression and an even more divided society. By teaching all major beliefs early you get everything out on the table at a young age, debate it , limit indoctrination from parents (which would be maximised if you did not cover it at school). Moreover kids would more likely recognise what a load of nonsense these beliefs are.

Also you say religion does not impact you but I would bet you it does more than you think. I don't know which country you are in but if you are in Western Europe you probably buy and receive presents at Christmas and would not want to work Xmas Day. Easter perhaps the same. Do you celebrate New Year? If you do in January 1st , why then? Why that date and not dates of other religions? Perhaps shopping opening hours on Sunday influenced by religion. Are shops open Xmas Day near you? If not, why not if religion does not influence your society?

Numerous festivals for example in Belgium there is a three day Carnival at Binche held just before Lent.

I would be extremely surprised if religion has not and does not influence you whatever your beliefs. What I believe you are saying is you do not believe in any religious texts in a superior being. Good man, me neither and I wish there were more of us but we cannot pretend the influence of religion on us does not prevail even if we don't believe in it.

It is not above it but it provides key understanding of culture and customs of countries and for someone such as me who is interested in people, cultures and the world I think it is great to understand different faiths that underpin behaviours in some areas. Imagine many others are the same.

If you pretend religion does not exist (which believe me I wish it did not) then you force stronger feelings, repression and an even more divided society. By teaching all major beliefs early you get everything out on the table at a young age, debate it , limit indoctrination from parents (which would be maximised if you did not cover it at school). Moreover kids would more likely recognise what a load of nonsense these beliefs are.

Also you say religion does not impact you but I would bet you it does more than you think. I don't know which country you are in but if you are in Western Europe you probably buy and receive presents at Christmas and would not want to work Xmas Day. Easter perhaps the same. Do you celebrate New Year? If you do in January 1st , why then? Why that date and not dates of other religions? Perhaps shopping opening hours on Sunday influenced by religion. Are shops open Xmas Day near you? If not, why not if religion does not influence your society?

Numerous festivals for example in Belgium there is a three day Carnival at Binche held just before Lent.

I would be extremely surprised if religion has not and does not influence you whatever your beliefs. What I believe you are saying is you do not believe in any religious texts in a superior being. Good man, me neither and I wish there were more of us but we cannot pretend the influence of religion on us does not prevail even if we don't believe in it.

Yeah, because Santa Claus and the Easter Bells are in the fucken bible! XP

Joking apart, yes I know that, but I meant something more as an influence, like forcing me to go to church or believing that crap.

Nowadays religion is not about beliefs, it's about dogma and random mandatory acts for the sake of it.

Religion at the date of today is past its expiration date, and only the bad things remain. People don't think (anymore), that's the issue.

Yeah, because Santa Claus and the Easter Bells are in the fucken bible! XP

Joking apart, yes I know that, but I meant something more as an influence, like forcing me to go to church or believing that crap.

Nowadays religion is not about beliefs, it's about dogma and random mandatory acts for the sake of it.

Religion at the date of today is past its expiration date, and only the bad things remain. People don't think (anymore), that's the issue.

Have you seen the mosques in the Middle East lately? They are packed. As you probably remember, there were even certain religious aspects involved in the latest major political and military incidents.  ;)