think I have diabeties

scosc@yahoo.com

A routine checkup last week indicated that it is more than likely that I have developed type 2 diabeties. Waiting for confirmation over the next few weeks, various blood tests and other checks etc.

I know this is a number one condition caused by being excessively overweight. I have been fat all of my adult life and since about the age of 11 even at primary school I was always plump. I weigh about 15 stone now down from about 18.5 stone 7 years ago. I actually feel happy that my lifestyle has caused this and don't have any regret as I have always been overweight and enjoyed it and accepted my lack of fitness as part of who I am.  Me and my wife were actually surprised that its me that has it as I have been losing some weight in recent years although I remain about 3 stone overweight.  Infact she has been hovering around 20-25 stone for quite a few years now.

I am sure there are many men and women on here who have this condition as it is an accepted risk of the BBW/BHM lifestyle.

I am very keen to hear more about what it is and how it will effect me in the future, I don't know much about it accept that its very common and almost accepted by many. The college I work in has a number of teens that have it because of weight issues. Wondering how any future weight gain would effect it.  Look forward to hearing from fellow suferers.

Cheers  :)

It doesn't have to be this way, but you sound rather resigned to your fate...  I'm not a doctor, but I feel mostly confident in saying it's possible to be big and eat well (or more than well) without developing diabetes.  Just get some exercise.  A stroll around the block or some time on the treadmill will keep your blood sugar levels down.

It's strange to me that you feel happy about this, but at least the prognosis of diabetes is better now than it has been before.  Still, dude, daily shots...  Not fun.

You're basically living with pin pricks, the risk of developing gangrene easier, your feet will develop issues as it's something that happened to my grandfather. If you get your blood sugar too high, you risk goin I to shock and you can develop medical complications from it. If you keep it unchecked you risk ruining your kidneys and having to live on dialysis. It's not something to be "glad you got." As soon as you also understand that you will have to limit a lot of shit that you eat too. You literally become a slave to the pinpricks making sure your blood sugar stays in an acceptable range.

This isn't fun or cool or something to take lightly.  Yes it's more manageable now than it has ever been in the past, but it's still not cool.

You don't have to be overweight to get diabetes.

I have always been very close to normal weight, but after 5 years of taking the drug, Prednesone,

I was diagnosed with it. Not overweight, careful, mostly vegetarian diet for many years, no family history.

And, with type 2 diabetes, you aren't so likely to need shots of insulin, as is more common with a type 1 diabetic.

There are different drugs, taken as a daily oral tablet.

But, the advice to get lots of exercise is correct.

So is avoiding empty carbs, and gaining weight is asking for trouble, unfortunately.

There are a few natural things one can take to control blood sugar too, and I am experimenting with that, right now.

Cinnamon capsules may help, as well as another promising natural capsule, called Caiapo, derived from sweet potatoes. Hope this helps and good luck.