I've got Diabetes type 2

Earlier in the week I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. It was suspected for a while but have been having various test.  It was first spotted by a routine eye test, I had a micro anurisym in both eyes.  I have since found out my grandmother and aunt have had the same condition for years as does my dad but I think he is type 1.

Apart from this I have been overweight most of my life from the age of about 10.  I am 37 now and although I have lost weight and am now hovering about 15 stone for the last couple of years I did spend most of my mid and late 20's at around 18.5 stone. I also smoked regularly from the age of 18 to 37. Obviously this has been a factor in developing this. Although my diet is now full of plenty of fruit and veg and always has been I have always eaten too much and enjoyed snacking and consume a lot of junk food during my 20's.

I just wanted info about how others on here manage with this condition as its almost certainly caused by excess weight.  I found out I am now exempt from prescription charges which is good seeing as I will now have to take medication/tablets daily.  But just wanted peoples advice and knowledge on their experience of this I guess. Obviously I would much rather not have it but cant complain now as I know its as a result of the life style I want to live.

Thanks guys.

Guest high

My grandfather had Type 2 diabetes and he was rail thin. I think it comes from eating shit food. He used margarine like it was going out of style, and we know margarine is made from hydrogenated fats.

Sorry to hear you got it, and I wish you the best.

How regularly did you exercise?

I've kinda got the idea that excessive sitting is a factor. My mom had it and she worked as a secretary for ~20 years with little or no need to stand/walk/exert herself physically. The same for one of her coworkers. Neither of them were obese, in fact my mom's coworker kinda had like a Laura Dern-esque slight frame (but she's in her late 50s/early 60s)