Err... is this becoming like the facebook for fat admiring...

Guest Atlya

Do you like the direction the forum is going, functionality wise (community stuff, likes, etc)?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the direction the forum is going, functionality wise (community stuff, likes, etc)?

• Sure, that's what it's meant to be
    • Not sure, it depends how much the staff is willing to put such stuff in
    • I kinda liked when it was more content oriented
    • I think I'm hating it

Guest Atlya

Don't underestimate the ability of some members here to make it in the fucking way. this thread is an example

OK, I've just had enough of you, sir.

Completely unrelated, but this is the second not-so positive reference to Chris I have seen in the past two days. We get the memo, folks.

As far as changes to the site, you folks have always been hesitant to change, if you don't like the thumbs up, the answer is quite simple, don't use it. I think this site has a better sense of community than say FF or the curmudgeonly-old retirement home known as Dims.

I guess what I am saying is these features making your InternetFatGirlWorld experience easier are a lot better than not having a Curvage to frequent.

Just remember folks, nothing is set in stone, SuperJ has the license to try new things out, and while Curvage is unique, sometimes cool little tweaks will keep us relevant in changing times...

Just gonna chime in. I think the likes are harmful. Absolutely. I think they will damage things.

It's obtrusive and I worry it will only discourage actual replies.  If we want more replies we should work towards getting replies, not replacing the concept of replies entirely.  I for one like making posts.  Even if I don't have a ton to say as long as it's not a necropost I'll chime in.

While I don't mind the idea of liked topics, I object to the idea of liked users. On the Stats page, in addition to the Top 10 Topics (by Replies and Views), we now have the Top 10 Liked Topics but also the Top 10 Liked Users, most of whom, of course, are female posters. What exactly is the point of this? Rating the female contributors to this forum is something the moderators have always been against, and I, for one, would like to see this feature removed.

While I don't mind the idea of liked topics, I object to the idea of liked users. On the Stats page, in addition to the Top 10 Topics (by Replies and Views), we now have the Top 10 Liked Topics but also the Top 10 Liked Users, most of whom, of course, are female posters. What exactly is the point of this? Rating the female contributors to this forum is something the moderators have always been against, and I, for one, would like to see this feature removed.

But on the other hand, the most liked threads are the ones from the most liked users, so it's pretty similar. With several exceptions, of course.

But on the other hand, the most liked threads are the ones from the most liked users, so it's pretty similar. With several exceptions, of course.

Well, that's hardly surprising but I don't see the need to rank users in that way.

Guest Atlya

Oh, OK. This is even worse than what I thought.

"Like" systems are there to encourage feedback in places where there are a LOT of users. I don't think Curvage qualifies.

Also, as Wilan said here I don't see the point in encouraging most liked female posters and thus discourage not as liked female users to post. We need content from everyone, we need content, period.

I hardly ever look at the suggestions board, but I'm glad I saw this discussion. I'm really, really opposed to the "like" feature in any capacity. I hate that I'm having to draw this comparison, but with the recent posting of Vavoom on reddit, it seems to be the best.

If you think about it, the karma system there is a big factor in explaining why there are so many crap comments and submissions in general. People post things that appeal to the lowest common denominator in an attempt to get the most upvotes possible. Notice how the quality is negatively correlated with the size of the subreddit? The big front page ones like /pics and /videos are filled with memes and pointless discussion. The so-called "hivemind" is a direct result of the karma system. People say that karma is worthless, but it has a very real effect on the way people act, resulting in hundreds of similar comments all scrambling to be the most popular.

And here we are talking about the "like" button allowing us to see the best content here. Sound familiar? Sure, right now you could argue that the community is small, focused, and good-natured, but will it stay that way? People tend to like new content by women the most, and that's fine and completely predictable, but the thing is that likes give another concrete measuring stick for how attractve some contributors are compared to others. (The other measuring stick is, of course, the amount of responses.)

Going back to comments, though...most of us joined so we could access the "main" part of the website, and we only comment to compliment or interact with everyone else. However, once all the lurkers (old and new) see the "like" system, and as the community continues growing, it will also begin turning into a popularity contest. An example: there is a lot of "skinny hate" on curvage. If people begin seeing that comments pointing out how a person was more attractive before are more popular, more people will begin saying it. Right now not that many people post about it, because, well, hey. There's no reason to do so. Really the only people who do are immature jerks who don't hold their tongue. If people start getting likes for saying a person was more attractive before (whether they gained or lost weight), more people will begin saying it, and the community will take a turn for the worse. Now that's just an example; maybe it wouldn't be the case for that particular issue, but the fact is that whether Karma is worthless internet points or not doesn't matter. Whether Likes are worthless internet points or not doesn't matter. People want attention, and just because curvage is a forum based on fat-appreciation does not make it immune to the consequences of that.

• 2 weeks later...

The like function here doesn't really increase visibility beyond additional search functions so I don't see how it works anything remotely like reddit karma. 

If people start getting likes for saying a person was more attractive before (whether they gained or lost weight), more people will begin saying it, and the community will take a turn for the worse.

The rules of this forum, which are pretty well moderated, more or less cover this, so I don't think it would be an issue.

"3.1 - Remember, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and so is fat. If someone doesn't measure up to your expectation, please don't start complaining they're not fat enough. Similarly, if you find someone repulsively fat, please keep it to yourself. This includes pictures posted by members and pictures of members."

That being said, I'm fine with liking topics & posts, but I agree with Wilan about the liked users thing.  I think that is a bit too much ego boosting in my opinion, and doesn't really serve much purpose beyond that.  It's pretty easy to tell which users are the most popular by how prominent their topics are anyways.

But you can't deny that the Stats page has a list of the "Top 10 Liked Users". Why do we need that?

That's what I am talking about. Its just a misnomer. Those aren't "users" who are receiving likes. Those are users who's posts or threads have received likes.

That's what I am talking about. Its just a misnomer. Those aren't "users" who are receiving likes. Those are users who's posts or threads have received likes.

That's not how it looks though, is it? And since there is also a list of "Top 10 Liked Topics", I can't see the need for a separate list of liked users.

That's not how it looks though, is it? And since there is also a list of "Top 10 Liked Topics", I can't see the need for a separate list of liked users.

because there is a difference between a well liked topic and contributors who consistently post well liked topics.

Guest primitive

because there is a difference between a well liked topic and contributors who consistently post well liked topics.

Drawing a difference between a most liked user and the most liked thread ABOUT a user is almost the dictionary definition of pedantic.

I can think of one or two "contributors who consistently post well liked topics" that are missing from the list of Top 10 Liked Users...

• 1 month later...

Why have you increased the size of the Likes box that appears on the top right of each page of a thread? I don't see why that needs more prominence – in fact, personally, I'd rather not see it at all.

point taken. But,  try clicking on it. It will help you easily find the MOST liked post in any thread. Useful navigation. ;-)