I drank for the first time yesterday

Menoso

So I'm 27, and grew up in a small town (150 people) in the middle of nowhere, in a dry county.  Alcohol just wasn't a thing that anyone did there, not even for any particular reason as far as I can tell.  Anyway, I was finally able to buy a car, get a job elsewhere, and move out.  My first day after work I got invited drinking, and didn't even realize they meant alcohol until I was already there, but I figured what the hell.  I threw up a few minutes after my 10th (I think?) shot of Maker's Mark, but other than that had a blast.  I now know how much not to drink, but I'm also curious how that stacks up to other people.  Am I a lightweight?  I'm 5' 8" and 158#, and had just eaten a full meal.  I think the 10th shot was taken around 2.5-3 hours after the first.

I come from a town of ~450 so I know what you mean lol. We had a car wash though haha!

Alcohol tolerance has a lot to do with a person and their individual body's ability to process the alcohol. I know an alcholhic that's about my size and can easily polish off a fifth of bourbon by himself in an afternoon and appear to be just buzzed. I'm 5'10" 175lbs and consider myself an occasional drinker. 4-5 mixed drinks and I'm feeling buzzed. After about 10 drinks I'm pretty well off. If I killed a fifth by myself in an afternoon I'd be worshipping the porcelain gods.

Like most things, our bodies tell us when we've had our fill of something. Be it food, alcohol, or even pain tolerance. I would recommend drinking slowly but steadily until you feel buzzed, then stop. Have 1-2 drinks per hour after that and you'll get a feel for what your body is telling you. If you feel slightly nauseous, pull back a little. If you don't, have another and enjoy the environment/company you're with. Just like a car engine...you don't want to go from idle to redline until you blow up. There's a happy medium :) enjoy!!

I've only been drunk once when I was 25 to appease. How'd you like it? I didn't at all. It was literally done for the sole purpose of it saying "we only had sex because I was drunk/I was drunk when we had sex".

I tried getting buzzed once after and I didn't care for that feeling either.

I've only been drunk once when I was 25 to appease. How'd you like it? I didn't at all. It was literally done for the sole purpose of it saying "we only had sex because I was drunk/I was drunk when we had sex".

I tried getting buzzed once after and I didn't care for that feeling either.

It was more or less what I expected, the only thing that surprised me was the numbness of my skin towards the end of the night.  It was a fun night, but I don't know that it would have been all that different if I had been sober.  I didn't do anything out of character.  It'd probably take minimally pressuring to get me to do it again, just to appease, because I didn't like or dislike the sensation particularly, so meh to experiencing it again. 

I don't mind getting drunk. I appreciate people when I'm drunk. HOwever any drinks after Appreciation stage will result in me throwing up.

It really depends what combination of drinks I've got that will determine when I wind up feeling sick. Though, it's been a while since that's happened thankfully.

Guest AirJordanFan93

I recently gave up drinking. Not that I have ever been an alcoholic in fact I was never a big drinker to begin with. I never liked the test of alcohol. I don't really care much for drinking at all.

Guest muffinmaid

As a somewhat regular drinker and new bartender, 10 shots puts almost anyone on a level.. I don't think you are a light weight, especially if you were taking those shots in fairly quick succession. 10 shots would fuck me up and I weigh A LOT more than you do.. Just be careful and don't make yourself sick!

Cheers!  :thumbsup:

As someone who has only given money away to bars, I agree wholeheartedly with Muffinmaid. Ten shots in an evening is likely to end in something wretched (or wretching).

Also, I'll second Buffalo Trace. It's brought many a guest at my house into the whiskey fan club.

I've bar tended for a couple years in a pretty decent place in NYC.

10 shots over the course of 3 hours is pretty heavy handed. Especially if you've been drinking something else as well. (People don't usually just have shots and wait for the next one.)

Cheers to you for hanging in there. Especially as a newbie.

I would've probably blacked out before I got to the 10th shot. Now that you've experienced drinking in excess, you should explore the world of beers - everything from Budweiser to craft brews. You might enjoy the wide array of flavors and find something you like.

Good will power. I am almost 25 and i can count the amount of times i have been drunk on one hand.

Weed is so much better despite the legality issue. An all-natural smokable plant that makes you relax, or a factory made beverage that makes you kill people behind the wheel?

It makes you sick because you are poisoning your liver.

Good will power. I am almost 25 and i can count the amount of times i have been drunk on one hand.

Weed is so much better despite the legality issue. An all-natural smokable plant that makes you relax, or a factory made beverage that makes you kill people behind the wheel?

It makes you sick because you are poisoning your liver.

Yeah, sure, because second hand smoking is good for people around you.

*Facepalm*

I advise you to stop burning your brain cells.

Bah!

Uh, pure ganja smoke isn't particularly carcinogenic (tobacco is the killer), you can vape it or eat it instead, and it pretty easily has one over on alcohol because booze kills something like 3.3m people a year - 5.9% of all mortality.

Total deaths in the entirety of medical history directly attributable to cannabis: zero. Its LD50 is so high it's physically impossible to get that stoned. Meaning it consistently rates far lower than alcohol (and most other drugs - notable exceptions LSD, MDMA) on indices of both personal and social harm.

Alcohol is also, as has been pointed out, quite literally a poison - it's a neurotoxin.

Guest primitive

So I'm 27, and grew up in a small town (150 people) in the middle of nowhere, in a dry county.  Alcohol just wasn't a thing that anyone did there, not even for any particular reason as far as I can tell.  Anyway, I was finally able to buy a car, get a job elsewhere, and move out.  My first day after work I got invited drinking, and didn't even realize they meant alcohol until I was already there, but I figured what the hell.  I threw up a few minutes after my 10th (I think?) shot of Maker's Mark, but other than that had a blast.  I now know how much not to drink, but I'm also curious how that stacks up to other people.  Am I a lightweight?  I'm 5' 8" and 158#, and had just eaten a full meal.  I think the 10th shot was taken around 2.5-3 hours after the first.

10 shots is respectable for a first-time drinker. Your only mistake was shooting it at all. Whiskey should be sipped, not shot. Leave shooting for vodka and tequila.