60 FPS Youtube

Jam

Youtube recently updated to now allow users to upload videos that have 60 frames per second (the previous maximum was 30 fps).  Currently this option is only for internet explorer and chrome, but not firefox (not sure about other browsers), though firefox will probably implement it in its next update.

Here is an example of what I'm talking about (make sure you choose 720p60 or 1080p60 in the quality options):

(It doesn't appear to be an option when embedded for some reason)

This generally leads to a smoother and 'real-time' looking video playback that captures whatever its being recorded as if you were actually watching it first hand.  This comes at a time when movies have also started coming out in high frames per second like The Hobbit.  There is some debate over whether this is actually an improvement.  Some people argue it actually makes things look like they are at a lower production value (the weird "soap opera" or "sitcom" look).  The word "cinematic" tends to get tossed around a lot.  Here is an article that expands on this debate a little: http://movieline.com/2012/12/14/hobbit-high-frame-rate-science-48-frames-per-second/

Now while it may still be up in the air over whether this enhances a movie experience or not, I think it has a lot of potential with youtube, not just for gaming videos, but with this type of community's content as well, though I haven't seen any videos with the high frame rate option yet.  I think its an interesting development and I personally think it makes the videos look higher quality, but like I said before, there is still some debate over it.  As the example video I posted pointed out, it will take a decent video camera to get above 48fps.  With the motion blur that 30fps videos often have, some people may not even notice the difference between the two, depending on their vision.

Thoughts?