This is me we're talking about. What do you think it is, Magic The Gathering?

KFD

If you think I'm into anything with cards, clearly you are new here.

So, I'll introduce you to my old Celica. Yes, your crazy aunt had one. So did mine.

tumblr_ncoooplslU1rslasvo3_500.jpg

Originally purchased new by my great uncle, my grandfather bought it in 1997ish as a commuter from the house in Hermosa to his physical therapy office in Downtown LA, because that conversion van liked gasoline. My dad ended up driving it more than anything, I drove it occasionally when my land yacht Forwardlook Mopar was in dry dock. It got parked in 2005, because of a bad master cylinder.

My aunt signed it from my Grandparents trust to me in 2011.

I had a rough idea what I wanted to do with the car. Banana-spoke wheels (I couldn't afford Panasports or pricey Wats, so I'm cool with Rotas), the rare trunk rack, which I won't find, 130 mile speedo, which I won't find, and when I make millions, correct fender mirrors, that Kanji warning light cluster, and GT Grille. Forget Watanabes or the 18R-G engine!

tumblr_ncon9cDH311rslasvo9_500.jpg

Got it!

tumblr_maiwktsoTs1rslasvo1_500.jpg

Man, even with the springs cut a little, I need to save up for those XXRs, because forget finding Panasports.

...Or be lucky and find a Toyota van in the wrecking yard searching for a full-size spare!

tumblr_mtpeicv41y1rslasvo1_500.jpg

Take the car to the Rock Store. Aloha Racks, because surfing.

tumblr_mph1x2trXC1rslasvo1_500.jpg

Blunderbuss has some great candids.

imageserver.php?id=423081;image

Let's go to Japan, buy cool shit.

tumblr_ncoooplslU1rslasvo5_500.jpg

These were cheaper than Imitation Rota XXrs.

tumblr_mweqhgc08p1rslasvo1_500.jpg

Few other things came home too.

Rusty motor was taken apart, put together, and was living room decor...

tumblr_n3zgexZN3m1rslasvo1_500.jpg

Cleaned and pretty! Polished crank, total seal rings, balanced, yadda yadda.

tumblr_ncoooplslU1rslasvo6_500.jpg

Bye Felicia to this thing...

tumblr_n63x03sIIV1rslasvo3_500.jpg

Put this in here...

tumblr_n6i1egHUMW1rslasvo1_500.jpg

Got these, too.

tumblr_n43regm7Sz1rslasvo4_500.jpg

Had to do some fabrication to make them work...

tumblr_n43regm7Sz1rslasvo3_500.jpg

This fucker!

tumblr_n4ebuzST0N1rslasvo1_500.jpg

I hate JDM fanbois, but...

tumblr_ngx132kiaJ1rslasvo5_500.jpg

What's different?

tumblr_ngx132kiaJ1rslasvo4_500.jpg

Kanji cluster...

tumblr_ngwv900xuX1rslasvo4_400.jpg

tumblr_n43regm7Sz1rslasvo10_500.jpg

GT grille and kaido racer glitter!

tumblr_nhxe4qAwBw1rslasvo9_540.jpg

tumblr_n7fnkw17DO1rslasvo3_500.jpg

Asuka is best girl.

tumblr_n560coFZMB1rslasvo1_500.jpg

Cocksuckermotherfucker.

tumblr_nidyqz811T1rslasvo1_500.jpg

Take RG out, rebuild it again. Buy 20R so car can be driven in the meantime. Paint it pink.

tumblr_nk6uykCW5y1rslasvo1_500.jpg

Stay tuned!

tumblr_nk7hx1UmzU1rslasvo1_500.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I really enjoyed reading this post.  I can't wait to see what you do next. Your wife must hate you, engine on living room floor lol!

Also I like how in your women posts you throw in an occasional car, but here you throw in an occasional female pic.

Pink block,  really?  Why man why?

Hahaha!

And over in Japan, pink doesn't have the same cachet it does here. Pink over here is associated with girls, breast cancer awareness. Pink in Japan? Manly!

photo_01.jpg

Toyota... In an attempt to freshen up the Crown (which is akin to a Buick over here) came up with the Athlete reBorn in 2012, and it's painted in a shade of awesome.

So, I had that really cool twin can motor, blew it up, and had to put in a run-of-the-mill 20R between the fenderwells. So, why not make it visually interesting as well?

...That and up until 2011 my Motorola RAZRs were always, or mostly, pink!

Here's some girls.

post-837-14513570667877_thumb.gif

post-837-1451357066853_thumb.jpg

post-837-14513570669379_thumb.jpg

post-837-14513570681866_thumb.jpg

post-837-14513570708877_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Like where this is going and all the detail stuff :)

Wanting to get something from the land of the rising sun too, probably something more modern - leaning towards Hondas really and the VTEC (yo) of an EP3, DC2 or an S2000. I've always wanted an S2k but the budget doesn't quite stretch to one at the moment. Do love the older generations of Jap stuff though...

1404172056_by_AE86Fan.jpg?1404252233

trueno.png

:)

Currently though I keep "accidentally" buying Italian stuff like my current daily, which is attached. Saving for a holiday means it's been somewhat neglected recently  :-\ Still though, the in-line 5 makes travelling to and from work an experience  ;)

post-463-14513580329405_thumb.jpg

:D yeah, 90s Fiat Coupe, non-turbo so only 147hp but still decent torque from the 5-cylinder  :) Outside designed by the same guy who did a lot of recent BMWs like the last gen Z4 and interior by Pininfarina despite the outside badge implying they did the whole car. Earlier versions had the same 4-cylinder the Lancia Integrate used to run but the 5 sounds nicer. Think 80s Audi rally car  :)

Was a cheap buy and been fairly reliable considering the rep. X1/9s, I see them at shows but yeah, not exactly reliable. A lot of folk do engine transplants on them to get a 1.4 turbo  :)

The motoring market is somewhat different over here in the UK :P Mind you, the other half would love a Mustang of pretty much any description ;D

Didn't even mean to get into the whole Fiat thing and I've ended up having 3 in a row over 10 years in various states of tune :P

• 1 month later...

It has a Yamaha head like the 4A-GE, it's an earlier design. It actually uses the same architecture and componentry as the MF10 2000GT's 4M. Dual cam, 8-Valve hemi head.

My buddy has an old liftback with no engine or suspension in it, and MASSIVE flares. It was an old IMSA racer. I really want to take it off his hands, but if I can score a cheap round headlight coupe, I want to retrofit Taco drop A-arms and FOX/FAGTECH shocks and make a dune racer out of it!

The RG is still apart, and I'm wavering between rebuilding it again, or selling it and going 1UZ, because you know, 85 on the freeway isn't fast enough...

• 4 months later...
Guest An Optimist

I don't believe in the future, so, this is what I want.

What they use to run trucks in North Korea. What was used to run civilian vehicles in WWII Europe. Takes a little longer to start, but you basically run on wood.. about 1lb dry pe 2 km or so.

Good emissions, runs clean, but the engine wears down faster.

The diesel engine was originally intended to run on coal dust. I'll pass on that.

Plus side is that I'll be Stateside in a few weeks, and a mountain of parts awaits me, like 91mm pistons and an HKS box for the 18RG!

Well, it has been a minute since this thread was updated, and normally I wail, moan, and grovel at bumping an old thread, but this board is a little slower-moving than the rest, so here's a recent photo of the money pit. I put an oil cooler on it, but due to a weak fire ring on the headgasket, it likes running a tad warm. Guess what I'm doing on my time off!?

post-837-14514108583896_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Did I mention the other hot rod I have now?  

No? It's six tons, has 350 horsepower, is twenty-six feet long, and has a beer fridge!

So I picked this up a few months back. Remember, I have a house with my wife and our friends in Oxnard, sixty miles northwest of LA. I work in San Diego. A weekend commute for me is 190 miles, and I'm renting a room down here. 

My buddy Shawn (whom I share the house with in Oxnard) is coming down here in the fall, and moving into this room. What's a guy to do?!

So, these things were built by GMC, in the seventies. If you have seen Stripes, Twister, or more recently, Anchorman 2, you saw this thing. You might be like me, and had the Hot Wheels as a kid (and I bought another one just like the one from my childhood last year).

So, these are the first Crossover GMC made, they are distant cousins to the Olds Toronado, and Boss Hogg's Eldorado. In fact, aside from the 8 lug wheels, they are GM E-Body from where the front frame spars connect to the spaceframe chassis. They have a real trick airbag suspension out back, and a fiberglass body like a Corvette 

So mine happened to have porch built around it, but aside from some carburetor fuckery, and airing up the six flat tires, it made it 100 miles to San Diego with no problems. 

I've put some work in it to be drivable, tires, wheels, batteries, a master cylinder, a fuel pump, and shocks, but after sitting six years, those things need replacing anyway.

Well, coming to a shady spot in Mission Bay soon, the Big Sexy Barbie Bomber will be somewhere between San Diego and Oxnard at any given time this summer! 

IMG_20160215_135413137.jpg

IMG_20160215_135430139_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160215_135522989_HDR.jpg