Official Curvage Pro Wrestling Thread

Guest AbeVanHelsing

Guest AbeVanHelsing

There's been enough talk of female wrestlers gaining in the celeb board for me to know that there are at least a few fans on this site, so here's a thread to talk about wrasslin'.  Also, if you watched back in the day but don't anymore, I'd like to here some of your favorite wrestlers.

I started watching back in 2000, became a huge fan, started doing the whole "smark" thing, in high school began seriously lifting weights in preparation to try and break into the business, lost interest around 2008, started watching casually again due to CM Punk's infamous "WWE sucks" promo and the return of The Rock.

Also note: if this thread takes off, let's try not to post any potential spoilers from the dirtsheets without fair warning, some people prefer not to know all the backstage stuff, or who's contract is up etc.

• Moderators

I watch RAW every week, and occasionally Smackdown as well. A few things as of late that I feel are worth mentioning...

• Punk making a heel turn - Not really a spoiler, it's been happening for about a month now.
  • Last RAW having a skit that occurred outside of the arena. I can't remember the last time that has happened.
  • Divas division - perhaps they are returning to a legit spot on the card again? Much improved over Johnny Ace's running of the division.
  • HHH - Not sure how much kayfabe there was in his monologue on the last RAW. Perhaps he really is done?
  • Seamus vs Del Rio - This feud is getting downright boring. I think the belt needs to change hands.

Guest AbeVanHelsing
Punk making a heel turn - Not really a spoiler, it's been happening for about a month now.

This is a potential huge side post that I'll elaborate on later if anyone's interested: I believe that the traditional heel/face paradigm in American pro wrestling is dying, if not already dead.  Vickie Guerrero is the best traditional heel on the roster now by far; X-Pac heat is probably the best heat anyone can get right now.  Of course it doesn't help that they don't let the babyfaces have actual personalities anymore, or that heels can never go over clean.

Anyway, back to Punk.  He's had the beltforever, so I'm pretty sure this is part of some huge payoff.  My thoughts:

1.  Punk has the belt the rest of the year and faces The Rock at the Royal Rumble, then the winner loses to Cena at Mania.  If he feuds with the Rock and Punk brings up their real life heat and calls him a sellout etc, I hope they let Rock tone down the schtick and shoot back (Punk's my favorite guy to watch right now but Rock could scorch him pretty good if he didn't hold back.)  Anyway, I think after two mania losses in a row, I think Cena's in line to win his precious back in the main event.

2.  Punk becomes increasingly more of an asshole but still gets cheered, Cena sticks with his positive gimmick and keeps getting booed- until one night on Raw he finally snaps, jumps CM Punk and gives him the worst non-match beatdown of PG era, turns heel and shoots on the smarks for ruining the business he loved as a child.

Last RAW having a skit that occurred outside of the arena. I can't remember the last time that has happened.

I wish they'd do more, as they've been some of the funniest ever, like Steve Austin kicking Booker T's ass at the supermarket, and Trish going on a date with Big Daddy V.

Divas division - perhaps they are returning to a legit spot on the card again? Much improved over Johnny Ace's running of the division.

Normally I'd complain about Natalya getting buried, but Layla actually looked really improved last night.  Still wish they'd give Natalya the belt ... and that she'd experience a Trish Stratus/Lita mid-career weight gain.

HHH - Not sure how much kayfabe there was in his monologue on the last RAW. Perhaps he really is done?

As much as people shit on Triple H, he's a smart dude; he knows he has more to lose than gain by continuing to wrestle at this point.  That said, no way in hell was Summerslam his last match.

Seamus vs Del Rio - This feud is getting downright boring. I think the belt needs to change hands.

I like them both as wrestlers, but WWE really doesn't know how to book them at all.

Guest AbeVanHelsing

HBK = HOOOOOT.  8) lol

Sorry, I wish I could contribute more, but I sincerely stopped watching the newer stuff. I probably stopped watching around the time of Stone Cold S.A. and The Rock. =/

Most people did.  HBK is one of my all time faves, too.

• Moderators

Yeah HBK is one of the best wrestlers the WWE has ever had. He had charisma, talent and awesome moves. It's a shame his current role in the WWE is permanent special guest referee for HHH's matches.

As for the whole face/heel conversation, I agree. There are still textbook heels like Cody Rhodes, Alberto Del Rio and Dolph Ziggler. Textbook faces still exist too (though rarer): Zack Ryder and Santino immediately come to mind. However, I really can't call Cena or Seamus faces anymore. I can't call Punk or Bryan a heel either. While the WWE writers would love for those guys to fall into place, the "WWE Universe" is making that line blur. Cena receives boos, Bryan gets the loudest pops of the night, and Punk will do something heel-ish yet get cheered for it.

The WWE's current response seems to be forcing their wishes down the fans' throats, but merchandise sales are speaking louder than ever now. Cena is fading in sales, Punk and Bryan are very strong. Hell, Ryder is still popular despise WWE's valiant efforts to permanently bury him. You can tell they edit the "YES!" chants to their liking, and the "NO!" rebrand is succeeding despite their efforts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I can't believe what happened to Jerry Lawler tonight. Best wishes to him and hopefully he pulls through this major medical issue. WWE still hasn't said if it was a heart attack or stroke, but he collapsed shortly after his impromptu match tonight, had to be taken out on a stretcher by EMT staff and have CPR performed back stage.

I originally thought that Titus O'Neil just completely no-sold a punch from Daniel Bryan during their match, but apparently that was the very moment he saw Jerry collapse to the ground at the announcer table. He quickly motioned to bring out medical personnel. It was very powerful to stop commentary for the rest of the night, just goes to show how important a role those guys really play in the end product. I was very happy to see Michael Cole break character and be genuine in his concern for his colleague and friend. I know "the show must go on" but I disliked the interview segment. It's one thing to keep the matches, it is another to have everyone maintain character and pretend like nothing happened.

http://www.wwe.com/shows/raw/2012-09-10/jerry-lawler-collapses-at-announce-table-26051089

Guest AbeVanHelsing

Holy shit, tonight was surreal.  I was really shocked that Bret agreed to go out for the last segment, given what happened to Owen and all.

But anyway, Jerry's condition appears to be improving last I heard, and I give him and his family my absolute best wishes.

Guest AbeVanHelsing

Well, they said at noon today that his vital signs are stable, so while it's not over yet, things appear relatively good.

With that said let me talk about the current bane of the IWC: the uber-Punk marks.

Punk gets over by shooting on everyone, breaking kayfabe: PUNK IS THE BEST N TEH WORLD!!!!

After weeks of Punk insulting and beating on people, They finally let Cena say something other than "Never give up!!" and mentions how CM Punk is such a shitty draw he can't main event with the belt: THEY MADE PUNK LOOK WEAK!!!

Also I'd like to add that Punk has currently held the belt longer than Triple H (aka the guy who "hogged the belt forever) ever has.  He's my favorite guy to watch right now, but let's show some fucking objectivity here: he's been getting a monster push all year.

• Moderators

Yeah Mick is one of my all-time favorites. I read his first couple of books and I always get excited when he makes guest appearances. He just seems like a really nice guy, hard to dislike that [*cough cough* Cena haters *cough*].

As for Punk, I know he's really popular with the "smart" wrestling fans, but I just can't fully back him. He's very talented and I enjoy his matches, but I dislike his character. His bad-guy antics lately have been cheesy and painfully obvious, and I'm getting tired of the whining too.

Oh well, hopefully one of the main belts switches hands shortly. I have lost interest in all of the smaller PPVs because championships only seem to change hands at Wrestlemania/Royal Rumble anymore. Bring back the days where titles were won and lost on the weekly TV shows. As much as people hate super-Cena, Seamus and Punk have been far more "super" lately with their ridiculous winning streaks.

Yeah Mick is one of my all-time favorites. I read his first couple of books and I always get excited when he makes guest appearances. He just seems like a really nice guy, hard to dislike that [*cough cough* Cena haters *cough*].

As for Punk, I know he's really popular with the "smart" wrestling fans, but I just can't fully back him. He's very talented and I enjoy his matches, but I dislike his character. His bad-guy antics lately have been cheesy and painfully obvious, and I'm getting tired of the whining too.

Oh well, hopefully one of the main belts switches hands shortly. I have lost interest in all of the smaller PPVs because championships only seem to change hands at Wrestlemania/Royal Rumble anymore. Bring back the days where titles were won and lost on the weekly TV shows. As much as people hate super-Cena, Seamus and Punk have been far more "super" lately with their ridiculous winning streaks.

The problem with CM Punk is that he doesn't fit into the WWE's ''kid friendly'' demographic and he's not the not the only wrestler facing this issue, pretty much the WWE want the product to be like it was in the 80's which was nothing more then a over glorified cartoon show.

Wow saw this discussion and realized it was fate.  I just started a wrestling blog. http://wrestleville.blogspot.com/

My first post other than my intro was is about the King.  I was really shocked with what happened.  I know he had stents put in and I hope he recovers quickly.  Who do you all think should take his place temporarily? My top four choices are:

1. Good ol' JR

2. Jesse 'the Body' Ventura

3. Joey Styles

4. Paul Heyman

Unfortunately we will probably get Josh Matthews or Matt Striker.  I think another possibility at least for a show or two might be the Miz.  Not really sure why just a gut feeling.  Anyway what do you guys think?

Wow saw this discussion and realized it was fate.  I just started a wrestling blog. http://wrestleville.blogspot.com/

My first post other than my intro was is about the King.  I was really shocked with what happened.  I know he had stents put in and I hope he recovers quickly.  Who do you all think should take his place temporarily? My top four choices are:

1. Good ol' JR

2. Jesse 'the Body' Ventura

3. Joey Styles

4. Paul Heyman

Unfortunately we will probably get Josh Matthews or Matt Striker.  I think another possibility at least for a show or two might be the Miz.  Not really sure why just a gut feeling.  Anyway what do you guys think?

What's wrong with Matt Striker ???? Anyway, I say William Regal would be the perfect fit.

I like Striker as an interviewer and if he was being paired with JR I could see him on RAW, but I don't think I could handle him and Cole together.

Well you need someone that can call the match and Jerry and Cole weren't doing that so you need a good play by play guy which is why I would go with Striker. Has anybody thought of Road Dogg being the booth? I mean he is on the payroll.

Well you need someone that can call the match and Jerry and Cole weren't doing that so you need a good play by play guy which is why I would go with Striker. Has anybody thought of Road Dogg being the booth? I mean he is on the payroll.

The reason they don't call the match is because Vince doesn't want that. Instead of actual play-by-play Vince wants them to tell a story.

• Moderators

Yeah, I highly doubt JR will fill in, unless it was at the personal request of Jerry to do so. His commentary is amazing and builds up the characters much better than gossip more often than not. However, he doesn't fit the modern portrayal of the WWE universe because he comments on the wrestling far more than the story line.

My guess is Josh Matthews.

The problem with CM Punk is that he doesn't fit into the WWE's ''kid friendly'' demographic and he's not the not the only wrestler facing this issue, pretty much the WWE want the product to be like it was in the 80's which was nothing more then a over glorified cartoon show.

I agree he doesn't fit in and I know that the WWE execs/writers are the main reason behind it. The PG era at its finest right here:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/connecticut/2012/09/14/wwe-pulls-edgier-footage-amid-senate-race/sveQiKwhbEPqdr9Sg3YawM/story.html

WWE is censoring their past so that it can't be used as ammunition against Linda in her race for senate. They are clearly choosing clean-cut "sports entertainment" over wrestling, so people like CM Punk are going to struggle with fitting in.

Yeah, I highly doubt JR will fill in, unless it was at the personal request of Jerry to do so. His commentary is amazing and builds up the characters much better than gossip more often than not. However, he doesn't fit the modern portrayal of the WWE universe because he comments on the wrestling far more than the story line.

My guess is Josh Matthews.

I agree he doesn't fit in and I know that the WWE execs/writers are the main reason behind it. The PG era at its finest right here:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/connecticut/2012/09/14/wwe-pulls-edgier-footage-amid-senate-race/sveQiKwhbEPqdr9Sg3YawM/story.html

WWE is censoring their past so that it can't be used as ammunition against Linda in her race for senate. They are clearly choosing clean-cut "sports entertainment" over wrestling, so people like CM Punk are going to struggle with fitting in.

That is just stupid lol! Like the WWE's reputation doesn't precede itself, you can censor the past but that doesn't  mean people will forget it, like Triple-H fucking a corpse for example haha!

I just hope going this kid friendly again will backfire on them like it did the last time because what the WWE is doing to guys like CM Punk, Christian, and soon to be Chris Hero and Dean Ambrose is just plan wrong.

I can't believe i'm just finding this thread. Also, I'm glad so many Curvagers watch wrestling.

Anyway about Lawler, I heard from Cole on Fox News that Lawler wrestles 150 matches (mostly outside of WWE, for indy leagues mainly in Memphis) at the age of 62.

I'm sorry. I know he loves the industry and maybe he gets a sense of appreciation in the ring, but "fake" or not, this is a pro sport. You don't see 62 years olds in the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, etc. The oldest guys there are around 45 and those are the ones who are the most successful, still healthy, cream of the crop. Call it a career or at the very least, scale back the match number, especially the hardcore stipulation matches in WWE with guys half his age. But of course, get well soon and please keep announcing.

Guest AbeVanHelsing

Yeah, I don't he'll be back in the ring.

Also, I'm a big fan of WWE's decision to re-emphasize the tag team division.  Prime Time Players got a ton of heat when they attacked Mysterio and Sin Cara, and I'm actually interested in the tag title scene for the first time in many years.