VW project

Bluegill

So loads of black primer, disc brake conversion, full wiring loom, sport struts, and tons of decisions, reading, research, arguing, debating, defeat, victory, more defeat, self doubt, dreaming, more research, settling, and hours of work later has yielded this.

post-6134-14513600666378_thumb.jpg

post-6134-14513600666953_thumb.jpg

I was thinking of making it a part time track car, maybe hill climb or amateur track events. Settling on a small turbo blow through dellorto carburetor engine for now, it will be an under-square engine, with a long stroke and small bore. Not great for power but the turbo will help it breath in the upper rpm range hopefully. Later on I have a Porsche 914 engine that I will build that will make much more power. Might be quite scary in a sub 2000 pound car. Roll cage will be part of the plan.

post-6134-14513600675081_thumb.jpg

post-6134-1451360068314_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

If you are running a blow-through turbo, I have seen better luck with IDA44s than Dellortos, I have seen Del floats get crushed, granted it was a KKK turbo on a carbed 2.7 Porsche, but I wonder how this would handle compared to a 912 in auto-X...

... If you want to Auto-X, I would say get your hands on a 914. You can do all the cool guy stuff you want to the Super Beetle, but a 914 will run the bus on you, even with identially-prepped Type IVs. Doodle Bugs are fantastic though, and so. damn. basic! I might drink the Air-Cooled kool-aid if one comes my way!

Volksrod that thing!!!

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest JackInhoff

If you are running a blow-through turbo, I have seen better luck with IDA44s than Dellortos, I have seen Del floats get crushed, granted it was a KKK turbo on a carbed 2.7 Porsche, but I wonder how this would handle compared to a 912 in auto-X...

... If you want to Auto-X, I would say get your hands on a 914. You can do all the cool guy stuff you want to the Super Beetle, but a 914 will run the bus on you, even with identially-prepped Type IVs. Doodle Bugs are fantastic though, and so. damn. basic! I might drink the Air-Cooled kool-aid if one comes my way!

Volksrod that thing!!!

Somewhere i got lost inbetween the IDA44s and Dellortos, in other words ENGLISH DOC!  ;D

We cant all be VW People here, some of us own Mopars!

Guest JackInhoff

What Mopars are you into, my curiosity is piqued.

I own a 1978 Power Wagon W150, 360 ci, 727 torque-flight, 203 t-case, chry 8.25 rear diff, dana 44 front diff.

And then my Daily Driver 2005 Hemi Ram 1500..  8)

Somewhere i have pics of my dads sublime green '69 roadrunner 440 4 barrel. He pulled the 440 from it before he sold the car and at my grandpas house is where she lies....

Edit: The older pic is when my dad had it, it was his first pickup. The other pic is what it looks like now, not to bad for a 30+ year old pickup....

post-48104-14514116648723_thumb.jpg

post-48104-14514116649228_thumb.jpg

Nice! I can tell you right away, unless the Runner has been painted, it's likely a '70... Sublime was FJ5 on the pallette, "F" meaning 1970, EV2 Hemi Orange, EF8 Green, "E" being '69 colors. If I were you, I would be breathing life in that Beeper!

Trucks are a little out my area of expertise, but W-2 heads on that 360 work wonders!

Guest JackInhoff

Nice! I can tell you right away, unless the Runner has been painted, it's likely a '70... Sublime was FJ5 on the pallette, "F" meaning 1970, EV2 Hemi Orange, EF8 Green, "E" being '69 colors. If I were you, I would be breathing life in that Beeper!

Trucks are a little out my area of expertise, but W-2 heads on that 360 work wonders!

Me and brother have been looking for an old charger or something to put that 440 in, its just bare block and heads, no rotating assembly, no valves or springs. Worst part is its not a Chevy so I'm ready to whip the wallet out when we start building this.  :-\

Trucks are more of what i know of, the truck currently doesn't run and i have the 360 in pieces (long story short, it lost oil pressure excessive valve train noise, just months after my bro took it to our local drag strip making that old beast turn 15.XX in 1/4 mile  :o ), but I've got student loans and stuff to pay off so I'm saving up for a 1987-1991 W150 318/360 TBI model (F*CK CARBS.  >:( ) cause it will have the late model 205 part time t-case, and i can use the complete drive line for my '78.

Duderonomy, love the bug, nothing like the sound of those flat 4 engines.  8) 

Sorry for the thread hijack, good to see some motorhead's who enjoy their curvy women and cars/trucks...  ;D