Reddit has removed /r/FatPeopleHate

Handel

All hell is breaking loose on Reddit over this. Just to make it clear, it was not removed for censorship reasons. It was removed because, as a lot of you may know, the "shitlords" of FPH were abusing people outside of that particular circle of hell, including organizing attacks on people outside of Reddit completely. This post does a pretty good job explaining it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SubredditDrama/comments/39bqaa/its_happening_get_out_your_popcorn_fatpeoplehate/cs21h3k

I think they approached this the right way. I am strongly against censorship, but that's not what this is about. Honestly, I don't think Reddit is doing this for any moral reasons; they're doing it because when the lowest of scum use their site as a tool to organize abuse, it makes Reddit as a whole look shitty. When they look shitty, less people use their site, meaning less revenue. The human equivalent of dog shit stuck under my shoe from these subreddits will find other ways to go about their shitty ways, but I think this is a step in the right direction.

Discuss.

HOLY KOREAN JESUS RIDING A LIGHTNING BOLT BLASTING ASIA FROM THE 8-TRACK!!!!!!!! ALLAH O AKBAR!!!!!

Fuck yes. It's about damn time. I knew it was going to implode under its own weight starting the ensuing power struggle after a few mods got banned for erroneously reporting another mod had died a few months back. That was the left landing gear tire pressure warning on the Columbia's reentry for them.

Those shitstains will reform somewhere else and either take their spineless hatred back to Tess Munster, or find another outlet...

Hahaha, good

Fuck those guys. 

Doxing is like...one of the big no-no's of Reddit. If you dox someone, or just lead the way in harassing them or start a downvote brigade, the admins will typically come down hard on you with a banhammer. 

They're more forgiving if you actually, like...contribute something, ya know? That subreddit brought nothing to the table.

But, this is like busting Al Capone with Tax Evasion. A win is a win, man. 

And they can claim that they still support free speech and are anti-censorship, but just shut a place down for completely different but equally shitty reason. Having your cake and eating it, too, or something.

Oh my god, reddit is an absolute mess right now.  There is so much spam and brigading from the fatpeoplehate community it's ridiculous.  I didn't even care about their subreddit since I could just filter it, but this is ridiculous.  I've had to add like 30-40 new subreddits to my filter list just to get rid of all the spam.  This is so stupid.

It's like the arena scene in last weeks GoTs.  All the FPHers are busting out the masks and causing as much damage as possible.  Tomorrow, however, they will remove the masks and move on the the more insidious work of pretending to be part of the moderates in the debate,"I don't want to hate on fat people.  I just don't want to be censored."

The obnoxious 14 year olds lost their club house and now they're throwing a tantrum. What a fucking surprise. I usually get up in arms about censorship, but I really don't give a shit in this case. That subreddit wasn't even clever or funny, it was just cheapshot hate jerking.

Guest primitive

The obnoxious 14 year olds lost their club house and now they're throwing a tantrum. What a fucking surprise. I usually get up in arms about censorship, but I really don't give a shit in this case. That subreddit wasn't even clever or funny, it was just cheapshot hate jerking.

Despite what the said obnoxious 14 year-olds say, this isn't even about censorship. They were using the sub to harass imgur employees. Every time a sub starts to stir shit up outside of the site, it gets banned.

It's like the arena scene in last weeks GoTs.  All the FPHers are busting out the masks and causing as much damage as possible.  Tomorrow, however, they will remove the masks and move on the the more insidious work of pretending to be part of the moderates in the debate,"I don't want to hate on fat people.  I just don't want to be censored."

holy shit this is the perfect analogy

People are saying what about r/coontown? While I don't condone Coontown, the reason behind their hate is seemingly more calculated, and again, these guys stick to their Reddit. Someone yesterday made another brilliant analogy about each Subreddit being like a room. Whatever is done in the room is fine: say you are in a room that flings feces and humps inanimate objects. Do whatever you want in the room, even if it seems strange to people outside the room. What happening in FPH is people were smearing poo in the hallways, other rooms, humping telephone poles outside, and getting gold stars for it...

Again, after that run-in with the batshit crazy SJW tumblrina over race, don't think for a second I condone Coontown, it's just reading their posts compared to FPH is College papers versus Timmy's sixth grade rant about who knows what, because his handwriting is illegible...

Because banning everyone you disagree with is the right thing to do.

Because banning everyone you disagree with is the right thing to do.

not quite sure what you are trying to say, but we can go over it again; FPH was banned for its activities outside the sub

Guest justvisiting

I understand the need protect free speech.  Still, FatPeopleHate was a hate group.  I personally don't see why Reddit feels the need to create a safe, secure place for hate groups to organize.  Then again, that's kind of Reddit's territory and they might be shooting themselves in the foot for banning hate groups...  It's a strange situation.  Nevertheless, there are some really great sub-Reddits out there.

I understand the need protect free speech.  Still, FatPeopleHate was a hate group.  I personally don't see why Reddit feels the need to create a safe, secure place for hate groups to organize.  Then again, that's kind of Reddit's territory and they might be shooting themselves in the foot for banning hate groups...  It's a strange situation.  Nevertheless, there are some really great sub-Reddits out there.

Ok, they are not banning hate groups, they are banning groups that crossed the line OUTSIDE of reddit- rl harassment ,  death threats, etc

Guest primitive

Hmmm, an FPH refugee?

Actually shocked more haven't shown up. They really did not like being told to sit in the corner on the naughty stool.

Funny how they got banned for harassing other sites, and now they're trying to prove they were wrongly banned by... harassing other sites.

Favorite comment about this:

"We don't harass anybody or brigade! LET'S HARASS AND BRIGADE IN RESPONSE TO THIS! THIS IS THE RIGHT RESPONSE!"

Guest justvisiting

It's gotten more media coverage than I would have expected.

http://gizmodo.com/fat-hating-redditors-flee-to-voat-overload-servers-de-1710690125

http://www.forbes.com/sites/emmawoollacott/2015/06/11/users-flock-to-voat-as-reddit-shuts-harassing-groups/

http://www.itworld.com/article/2934436/open-source-tools/reddit-censorship-results-in-mass-exodus-to-voatco.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2015/06/12/censorship-fat-shaming-and-the-reddit-revolt-how-reddit-became-the-alamo-of-the-internets-ongoing-culture-war/

Caitlin Dewey, of the Washington Post, likens the event to the Battle of the Alamo for Internet fat shamers... The analogy is strange, overstretched, and juvenile, I think, but if fat shamers are the rebels/revolutionaries here, I sure hope Mexico wins.

Hmmm, an FPH refugee?

Heh, I actually got banned there. These dudes are way, way into the whole fat-hating idea, to the point that they won't accept people who are not keen on the idea of obesity(rationally speaking, not a good deal), but like it despite that. Hate is kind of unproductive, if not harnessed properly, and they never got the knack for it and frankly seemed self-indulgent in the same way eating too much is.

They need to overcome the hate, which is unproductive and toxic and start trolling more, perhaps by using the AA** methodology.

There is tons of ways of making fun of the more deluded people who are trying to convince themselves obesity is not a medical issue. It is, to the tune of dozens of billions of € and many millions of person-years.

And I'm not even alluding to the religious aspects, where the ignorance and hypocrisy of christian Americans is even more staggering*.

*the Bible, or the Old Testament does not look at eating too much kindly. Though, the catholic church has an even dimmer view.

**basically, if someone believes in a deluded idea, and you make up a slightly more deluded idea and try to convince them that it's right - they are more likely to change their view and wise up. If they don't, and swallow it hook-line-sinker.. well.. you can always make up an even bigger crock of shit and try again.

Do we need distinct thread about the follies of hate?  FHP ban was about behavior, it still does not have anything to do with their underlying ideologies.