Star Wars? (Spoilers)

eastsportman

Spoiler alert: do not read if you've not seen the movie.

Personally I liked it a lot. Although I did not think Princess Leias acting was very good. Since she's a vintage character they had to bring her back but she's kinda weak. I was shocked to see what happened with Hans solo though! Wow!

SPPPOOOIIIILEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

I liked it. It was a better reboot than JJ Abrams made of Star Trek (which didnt really stay true to the original). It did have a couple of flaws though:

- *ANOTHER* Death Star-like weapon? How many times does the Empire or First Order need to build a gigantian planet sized weapon with an obvious inherent flaw to have it blown up? People must be really dumb in the Star Wars universe.

- Han Solo's son as main protoganist was a total bitch. Go cry some more. Unworthy of a villain. Darth Maul was twice the villain and that's coming from a movie with Jar Jar Binks.

- How the hell is Rey able to master the force and sort of hold her own in a light saber battle so easily? Hell, even the fucking stormtrooper got a shot in with the light saber against Han Solo's son. Or Kylo Ren is a bigger pussy than I already thought :P

- JJ really didnt have to kill off Han. Like, what the hell. Kill off Leia, Luke or anyone else. Hell, he could even kill off Chewie. We'd just replace him with another hairball. But not Han! And not like this. If he needed to die, kill him off flying the Millenium Falcon into the Super Death Star's reactor resulting into a massive obliberating explosion or something. But not at the hands of his teary-eyed sobbing son.

- We spend the entire movie together with the good guys and the entire Empire chasing after a map that leads to Luke. So Rey finally ascends a million steps to get to Luke's humble-stonehedge-abode and we're treated to a 5 minute stare between Luke and Rey with Rey holding his saber to him during most of that time. Surely that thing must've been getting heavy. I imagine it being a couple lb. Must be the force.

- Why is it whenever we're treated to good views of the size and scope of, say, a Star Destroyer crashed in the desert, such magnificent shots are only 3 milliseconds long?? This annoys me greatly.

I'm done ranting :)

Guest Smithsonius

I liked it. It was a better reboot than JJ Abrams made of Star Trek (which didnt really stay true to the original). It did have a couple of flaws though:

- *ANOTHER* Death Star-like weapon? How many times does the Empire or First Order need to build a gigantian planet sized weapon with an obvious inherent flaw to have it blown up? People must be really dumb in the Star Wars universe.

- Han Solo's son as main protoganist was a total bitch. Go cry some more. Unworthy of a villain. Darth Maul was twice the villain and that's coming from a movie with Jar Jar Binks.

- How the hell is Rey able to master the force and sort of hold her own in a light saber battle so easily? Hell, even the fucking stormtrooper got a shot in with the light saber against Han Solo's son. Or Kylo Ren is a bigger pussy than I already thought :P

- JJ really didnt have to kill off Han. Like, what the hell. Kill off Leia, Luke or anyone else. Hell, he could even kill off Chewie. We'd just replace him with another hairball. But not Han! And not like this. If he needed to die, kill him off flying the Millenium Falcon into the Super Death Star's reactor resulting into a massive obliberating explosion or something. But not at the hands of his teary-eyed sobbing son.

- We spend the entire movie together with the good guys and the entire Empire chasing after a map that leads to Luke. So Rey finally ascends a million steps to get to Luke's humble-stonehedge-abode and we're treated to a 5 minute stare between Luke and Rey with Rey holding his saber to him during most of that time. Surely that thing must've been getting heavy. I imagine it being a couple lb. Must be the force.

- Why is it whenever we're treated to good views of the size and scope of, say, a Star Destroyer crashed in the desert, such magnificent shots are only 3 milliseconds long?? This annoys me greatly.

It's like a tour de force homage to the original series of films -

- It starts almost exactly like ep 4 with R2D2 being given the message for Obi Wan, but with BB8 being given the map to Luke, then fleeing off into a desert planet, oh and let's not forget von Sydow's Obi Wan esque old man bit part

- They managed to get Death Star 1 & 2 fight scenes into it with the trench attack and the reactor strike with Starkiller Base

- An obscene number of jokes and references between Han, Chewie and Rey, such as the whole kessel run 12/14 parsecs joke

- The Flacon still having the chess table and training droid that Luke used

- Plus the whole it's time to face your jedi destiny shiz.

All in all a really fun film, with a heavy dose of nostalgia. I'm just glad I didn't bother getting wrapped up in the hype, most people I know liked it, but those that didn't said it was because it was too hyped for what it was, which in my opinion is their own fault for falling into the exact thing that happens with every film like this.

I did however think that Han's son is a whiny, ep 2&3 emo Anakin-esque, arsehole who needs a good, hard kick in the testicles rather than a hug from daddy. That was just ridiculous. From the minute Chewie and Han went into the building you knew what was going to happen and it was like, seriously? Like this?

I would also not be surprised if Rey is family somehow, maybe Han's daughter based on the tech affinity and connection to Luke's lightsaber? It would follow with the whole brother-sister dynamic of Star Wars and be another reference to the whole family member dumped on a desert planet as a child to protect them thing.

Yeah I wasn't blown away by the First Order's super weapon either but it did make sense in terms of escalation, the Death Star could destroy entire planet while this new weapon can destroy a group of planets at a time. I really wish they had flipped this idea on it's head though, have the Rebels have an all power super weapon and make them defend it against the First Order. 

Are you kidding!? The only thing Darth Maul had going for him was his lightsaber staff, Kylo Ren actually had depth to him. I like how he was conflicted with the force entire time in the movie, it made him less black and white as previous STAR WARS villains and I look forward for what is in store for in the next two movies.

Kylo Ren was struggling with his connection to the force, he was torn between the light side and the dark side, this is not like Luke's confrontation with Vader on Cloud City where it's a Sith Lord fighting someone who hasn't even mastered the force yet,  Kylo Ren hadn't mastered his training yet and when you combine that his emotional state it makes sense why Rey was able to hold her own against him. 

So rip off the ending to Independence Day would have been better lol? I'm sorry Vennie but JJ didn't have a choice but to kill Han, Harrison Ford was in a bad plane crash not that long ago and when you combine that with his age it was pretty much a done deal that Han was gonna die in this movie. Did he die like a bitch though? I say no, it was touching end to a character that originally gonna be a giant lizard. 

Rey lived her entire life doing physical labor so I think she's pretty strong because of that so lifting a lightsaber shouldn't be that hard for her, that's pretty nit-picky on your part dude. I would say though I wish Luke had said something, anything, like where did his speak from the trailer go? I would have just been as happy if he said something like ''I've been waiting for'' or something like that.

I enjoyed the pacing of the movie so that really didn't bug me, I was more interested in the people then the background. Over all I really like this movie, does it have it's flaws? Yep, but what movie doesn't. I personally can't wait to see it again.

Yeah I wasn't blown away by the First Order's super weapon either but it did make sense in terms of escalation, the Death Star could destroy entire planet while this new weapon can destroy a group of planets at a time. I really wish they had flipped this idea on it's head though, have the Rebels have an all power super weapon and make them defend it against the First Order. 

Are you kidding!? The only thing Darth Maul had going for him was his lightsaber staff, Kylo Ren actually had depth to him. I like how he was conflicted with the force entire time in the movie, it made him less black and white as previous STAR WARS villains and I look forward for what is in store for in the next two movies.

Kylo Ren was struggling with his connection to the force, he was torn between the light side and the dark side, this is not like Luke's confrontation with Vader on Cloud City where it's a Sith Lord fighting someone who hasn't even mastered the force yet,  Kylo Ren hadn't mastered his training yet and when you combine that his emotional state it makes sense why Rey was able to hold her own against him. 

So rip off the ending to Independence Day would have been better lol? I'm sorry Vennie but JJ didn't have a choice but to kill Han, Harrison Ford was in a bad plane crash not that long ago and when you combine that with his age it was pretty much a done deal that Han was gonna die in this movie. Did he die like a bitch though? I say no, it was touching end to a character that originally gonna be a giant lizard. 

Rey lived her entire life doing physical labor so I think she's pretty strong because of that so lifting a lightsaber shouldn't be that hard for her, that's pretty nit-picky on your part dude. I would say though I wish Luke had said something, anything, like where did his speak from the trailer go? I would have just been as happy if he said something like ''I've been waiting for'' or something like that.

I enjoyed the pacing of the movie so that really didn't bug me, I was more interested in the people then the background. Over all I really like this movie, does it have it's flaws? Yep, but what movie doesn't. I personally can't wait to see it again.

You take my post way too seriously ;)

I do have the gripes like what I wrote about, but other than those minor issues it was a really good movie!

First of all, did anybody catch the voices when Rey grabbed the lightsaber? I love how they had Alec Guiness (old Ben) say "Rey..." and Ewan McGreggor's Obi-Wan finish the sentence "...your journey is just beginning."

The movie was basically a mirror of A New Hope. Han filled in the roll of Obi-Wan. Kylo/Ben of course filled in the roll of Darth, but killed his actual father this time around.

I didn't expect anything to happen with Luke as that's a story they'll get to in the sequel. The whole point of this one was simply finding him.

As for Kylo being a little bitch... I think that's the whole point of the character is that he's just some confused kid. As someone who knew a father-son duo in which the son killed his father, I find Kylo really detestable. He's a sociopath and I'm glad every character got in a shot.

I think there is a lot more to Rey that they're holding off. You don't just learn how to use the Force the way she did. She must've had her mind wiped by Luke at some point. I wouldn't be surprised if she was his daughter or related in some way. That might also be the point of the stare.

Oh, and I'd like to see more of the Knights of Ren in the sequel.

[img height=300]https://giant.gfycat.com/EthicalPerfectGrasshopper.gif

First: There is a lot of tribute in this movie. Honestly, I think it had to be that way. After the prequels, there had to be a show of good faith in this movie to convert the skeptical. Maybe you didn't need it, but it had to be there. Honestly, I don't think it hurt the movie that much, if at all.

Second: I'm surprised by how much I liked Kylo Ren. Some are saying he's whiny and that's not scary, but the dude is clearly very powerful, and that kind of power under so little control is very frightening and fascinating to watch. Ren is interesting to me in all the ways that prequel Anakin wasn't, even though they have a lot in common.

Also, Ren loses the fight with the neophyte force user Rey in part because he GOT SHOT IN THE GUT WITH A BOWCASTER, a weapon the movie goes to great lengths to show is HELLA OP

Rey is rad. That is all.

I really liked Boyega's performance as Finn, and I look forward to him in future movies, but he seemed a little too...cocky? and sassy? for a guy who's been trained to be a faceless killing machine up until now. I forgive it because he was so damn fun to watch.

So for once, a Star Wars movie gives too little political backstory. Did you know the system they blow up with the Starkiller base was the seat of the New Republic and also not Coruscant? I didn't.

Han's death was earned, and I think it was handled well. He did a quick retread of his Ep IV arc, sure, returning to the fight bc it's the right thing to do. Turns out, that doesn't always work out for you. That is the lesson of Star Wars, you show up and do the right thing bc it's right, not because you'll win. The arc of time is bigger than you. Obi Wan had to fall to allow Luke to grow, Luke went to save his friends even though it would cost him, Luke went to the second Death Star knowing he was likely to fail. Anakin becomes Vader because he REFUSES to accept that he can't win (i.e. save Padme) so he goes dark side to try and cheat fate and WHOOPS.

Han's fatal flaw is that he's better at being a scoundrel than a hero, but he has a moral compass anyway. Han knew he wouldn't get Ben back but he had to try. And if you don't think that cheek caress before he goes over the edge is going to water that seed of doubt in Ren's mind, I don't know what to tell you.

So, next film, I hope we see more of Leia, and obviously Luke. This was Han's Last Ride, and I enjoyed it for that, and if they give each of the original trio their torch-passing moment in these movies I'll be happy. My money is on Leia surviving this trilogy though.

Honestly, I didn't like it. Didn'tstop me from enjoying it, but had we eliminated the nostalgia for previous episodes or had I never seen the previous episodes, it really on its face was not a very good movie.

Honestly, I didn't like it. Didn'tstop me from enjoying it, but had we eliminated the nostalgia for previous episodes or had I never seen the previous episodes, it really on its face was not a very good movie.

Finally. This is what I've been trying to tell friends and relations who think I disliked it because it wasn't made for the super geeks, and former super geeks like myself -- it wasn't* a good movie period

* IMHO etc

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/26/2015 at 10:57 AM, lostonline040 said:

Finally. This is what I've been trying to tell friends and relations who think I disliked it because it wasn't made for the super geeks, and former super geeks like myself -- it wasn't* a good movie period

* IMHO etc

I thought it was a decent swing at it - but I really didn't like much of it to be honest.

Anyway.. That Death Planet destroyed how many other planets 4-5? Which were huge democratic power base planets, weren't they? Not one bloody person in that film seemed to give a damn about that. Literally no screen time given to any reaction. It would be like China or Russia nuking all of the USA and the rest of the world not caring. Utter madness or crappy story telling.

I get that the film needed nostalgia to lead people back in but did it really have to be an almost carbon copy of the original movie? They should have come up with more of their own plot points. Just seems like there was very little ambition or imagination for what an infinitely wealthy and scientifically advanced army could come up with when a giant battle station clearly isn't a sound idea.

I didn't like Finn - 'do you have a cute boyfriend?'-  I'm sorry sir, what? Didn't you just spend your whole life being brainwashed and having your personality and identity being deconstructed and removed? That character could have been so interesting and so broken and needing to come to terms with reality. But instead he was crafted with out any care or thought given to his actual context. He also didn't mind killing the other storm troopers whom he obviously knows are people just like him, doesn't even stop to think that they might need saved too. Utter Rubbish. 

I didn't mind Ren so much, I think it was because he was flawed and conflicted and actually interesting - unlike many of the others.

C3PO always brings a smile to my face.

Carrie has forgotten how to act..

That's all I can remember at this point...

Guest An Optimist

Haven't seen it. Not going to. 

When I learned J.J.Abrams was gonna direct, I decided to pretend nothing but the original 3 films were ever made.

Lucas made a huge mistake when he didn't give in to his wife's demands to work less and she left him.
http://www.blastr.com/2011/03/3_ways_george_lucas_wife.php

The original films aren't that good either, it's fantasy rather than SF, and were hugely impressive when they first appeared, which is the reason for the cult status. 

On 1/8/2016 at 11:30 AM, Heart & Mind said:

Haha not the best example! 

I thought it made for a good watch, but it's more of the same, should have had a more original plot. 

Haha, yeah - it was rather late when I typed that and struggled to think of a half decent way to frame how they characters in the movie should have reacted; since that basically wiped out the universes democratic powers.

I'm sorry to say that I left disappointed.  I didn't like the first order.  They didn't seem bad ass, they seemed like a bunch of whining brats.  Ren was a girly man.  The first order had enough money and resources to build a planet size gun, but couldn't buy clones and ships?  I think they would have been better off inventing a cloaking device to hide an old death star or something. or here's a novel idea, I've had enough of super weapons, maybe think of a new plot.  I didn't think Han had to die.  I don't think it added anything to the story, also I saw it coming.  I thought Finn's story was poorly thought out.  I understand that no matter how much training you have, you never really know how you're going to react when the blasters start firing.  But shouldn't he have ptsd or something?  It would have been so simple to say I enlisted because I needed a job, but when I had to gun down innocents I had second thoughts, rather than I was raised to be a storm trooper since birth.  Which brings me back again to their super weapon.  It means that the first order had to form right after the end of Return of the Jedi and keep everything a secret for 30 years; making a planet into a super weapon, upgrading old empire equipment, recruiting families to either give up their kids to become storm troopers or snatch enough for an army.  Nobody in the Republic noticed that stuff going on?

So Rey, without training, beats Ren who had been trained.  Then she went to see Luke Skywalker, why bother?  She's already a master.  Also, Luke only had a cameo?  That sucked. 

Also Jar Jar Binks didn't die.  Somebody should have dropped him into a sarlacc and had a full five minutes of him screaming in pain.

It's weird indeed that Rey beat Ren without ever training. Following the logic, since they'll both be trained, she should remain the better one of the too and win any fight between them, so in case one starts, we kinda know how it ends. 

Plus yeah, the villains seem a bit incompetent at being villains.

Oh for the love of god didn't anybody pay attention in the movie? Ren was shot with a weapon that been well established to be devastating, he was in a considerable amount of pain the entire fight and add his emotional instability that is effecting his connection to the force it's not at all surprising Rey won. I find that this so called criticism that Rey turned on ''god mode'' is completely garbage, Luke had no training and was able to destroy Death Star with no guidance computer and Anakin was a able to pilot a Pod Racer that at top speed is over 500 mph, but a woman beats a wounded man in a lightsaber duel it has to be ''god mode''.