Photography

Guest Jjskill

• 3 weeks later...
Guest An Optimist

35mm film camera?

Being a hipster is its own reward :D

There's no point in that, unless you don't care about the art but you care about the process or some such nebulous..something. You know, the shit vinyl fans care about.

The more photos you take the more possible good photos you might get. 

• 3 weeks later...

I feel that I've gained quite a repertoire as an abstract photographer. Some of my "thumb over the lens" captures rival the works of Eddie Torres, a first grader who is akin to taking first-class shots of pigeons on sidewalks. Many captures from my best photo shoots have up to 20% of the subject in frame, overexposed, and only partially obstructed by the notorious thumb! Some of my works have made it to the garbage, maybe you've seen them there?

In reality, I'm the worst photographer, and rely on today's digital cameras and editing software to make my captures worth looking at. Maybe I could pick up a thing or two (maybe three, or four!) from this thread. My folly, before digital cameras had finally reached 2Mp and priced under $600, was the thumb over the lens technique. Then, graduating to a higher resolution digital SLR and trying it out in Mexico... the notorious "lens cap-pitch black" captures. Hopeless. 

Today's cameras, it's practically point and shoot, take extras, review, rinse, repeat, publish. These days, some of my captures are now on websites and in scientific books, and people consider them to be exceptional! I bought a cheap 14Mp camera for $50, tried it out in situ, and the results are comparable to a professional photographer's attempt. My subjects are very precise, typically staged, and have large amounts of detail, so focus and depth in field is the major hump to get over... easily remedied by taking 20 pics with a little variance!

• Curvage Model

Photography is one of my biggest hobbies (and how I got started as a model). I shoot with a Canon 5D Mii. 

I started shooting on a Canon AE-1 and learned how to develop my own film & make prints in the darkroom. Honestly, jumping from film to digital really threw me off. It took me a while to get used to it, but some of the principles I applied to film are ones I still carry over to digital today...primarily quality of shots over quantity of shots. 

• 5 months later...

Quick update guys:

I'm back at my photography game! I now have a Polaroid Cube and a Nikon Coolpix S6300. I was wondering; does anyone have any cool ideas for a "photoshoot"? I want to master these cameras before I sink a small fortune into a DSLR. Also, I kind of want to find a plus sized model to take pics of. How might I go about doing that?

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest Dasjiveturke
On 3/25/2016 at 7:44 PM, SydneyScreams said:

Photography is one of my biggest hobbies (and how I got started as a model). I shoot with a Canon 5D Mii. 

I started shooting on a Canon AE-1 and learned how to develop my own film & make prints in the darkroom. Honestly, jumping from film to digital really threw me off. It took me a while to get used to it, but some of the principles I applied to film are ones I still carry over to digital today...primarily quality of shots over quantity of shots. 

Gospel. I too started with an AE-1. I always cackle gleefully when I see "photographers" who take 3,000 captures in the hopes they may end up with a dozen salvageable images. Do your work with the camera, not in post processing. 

In short, if someone cannot take a photo without a light meter they are not a photographer. The end.