Contribution Tag/Button

Guest Ms. LovelyMeow

Guest Ms. LovelyMeow

You're touring through the forums checking out the latest posts when you see there's a thread you really like and it's been active recently! You scroll to the bottom of the topic to see that, lo and behold, the latest poster has just bumped the thread needlessly with a 'she's hot'. 

I've had it happen before, you've had it happen before but there's a solution - if there were some way to mark your posts as a 'contribution', it could change visually to let other forum-goers know that the topic has new images/pictures etc. without jumping the gun on an opinion piece or discussion that another member has added.

What do you think?

• 3 months later...
On 10/28/2016 at 4:02 PM, namad said:

chans have a sage feature. I've asked for it here before. saging is the literal opposite of your suggestion. people mark their posts to be vapid and lacking in contributions instead.

I'd argue that this is a much worse idea because it would require someone to always be hitting a check box when they are going to make a post. New people wouldn't know to do it, regulars could forget, and for the egotistical you are asking them to admit they have nothing meaningful to add to the thread. It's much harder to identify if someone would be misusing this feature, because it'd be very easy to make a mistake.

If you allowed posts to be marked as contributions, however, it would be much easier to discipline those abusing it because its misuse would be born of action, not inaction. The poster would have to consciously decide to make the post as a contribution. If they are doing so incorrectly, they could be warned. If they continued to disobey the rules, they could be banned.

To expand on the OP's suggestions, you could have a icon visually different from the usual circle that shows up when there are new "content" posts in a thread, and add a "Only notify me for new content posts" option to the follow button.

1 minute ago, Heart and Mind said:

Maybe it could be something automatic. Instead of the poster having to mark their own post as contribution, any new post by the OP would be marked as such. Would admittedly work much better for the Curvage member sections than the rest. 

That's certainly a good idea, but that doesn't work for threads where the OP isn't the source of the content (posts about celebs etc). You'd still need a manual option for those types of threads. It does make sense that OP posts would be important by default though.