Guest tonynai

Guest tonynai

I was thinking long and hard about this after I ate with a friend I hadn't met in a while. She always knew me as thin. She's a bit on the plus side. And I had gained a lot of  weight throughout that time. I was a bit worried that she was going to start becoming turned off by my new size. She was the one who suggested we go to an all-you-can-eat buffet. I was very hungry (as always) so I agreed wholeheartedly. I had forgotten about my worry about her seeing as I was chunky.

After the meal, which took over 2 hours. I ate a lot. She herself ate enough that the restaurant had to offer. Outside of the restaurant, I felt elated that I ate that much and so I thanked her for suggesting the idea of a buffet. Then she said, "I can tell you liked it."  She then patted my stomach lightly and laughed a little. I realized my jeans had popped open at some point and my belly was oozing out, I was a bit fatter because of all the food I had eaten and I felt a bit embarrassed.  I had forgotten throughout our meeting that I was fat now.

But she said it's OK. She said I was never going to be thin forever. We all love food and people can count calories and work out as much as they like but they will never be perfect because no one is. She also added that she knew I would gain weight one of these days, that it suited me and I shouldn't care what people think. Besides she added, chances are most people in this country, if not all. are going to be either on the level of chunky, fat, overweight or obese.

That night I went to bed thinking what she had said.

There are restaurants serving high-calorie food anywhere. It's like there's no end in sight. (at least in my town.) I see less people in the gym. Even fit people don't stay thin for long (Myself included) This might sound like it's a big conspiracy and in a way I don't mind. I love eating tasty food. It makes me happy. But is this what we're really becoming? Is the media trying to lead us somewhere with the commercials and ads? What about health risks?

My theory is maybe we're meant to be a certain level of fat. Am I wrong for thinking that way? I kind of hope I am. I don't mind being fat, just not really fat. Or is she just saying 'Get fat and be happy'?

Most people gain weight as they get older because they become more sedentary and their hormone levels decrease.  There's no reason why you can't maintain your weight if you get active.  Being fat isn't normal, it's literally excessive weight for the body.  It's only normal because of the lifestyle many people lead.

Well, as of 2010, the average American female BMI was 28.7 and the average American male BMI was 28.3. The average woman will reach obesity with a 30 BMI if she gains about 7 pounds, while men need to gain about 12. So we're pretty damn fat. I'm not sure if the upward trend has continued for the past 7 years, but we'll find out if either gender has hit the mark in the 2020 CDC report.

As for whether, biologically, we're meant to be this way? No, absolutely not. But hey:

erapepe.thumb.png.797fed102500a921588367a337d7f889.png

Guest An Optimist
On 4/16/2017 at 0:35 AM, tonynai said:

My theory is maybe we're meant to be a certain level of fat.

We're not 'meant' to be anything. If you want to see purpose in the universe, beyond survival, you have to believe in higher power. 

On 4/16/2017 at 0:35 AM, tonynai said:

I love eating tasty food. It makes me happy. But is this what we're really becoming? Is the media trying to lead us somewhere with the commercials and ads? What about health risks?

Media, businesses are behaving like sociopaths. They're all competing with one another, and worrying about how your policies are going to affect something else isn't profitable. 

The health risks are very real. 

Guest tonynai
2 hours ago, An Optimist said:

We're not 'meant' to be anything. If you want to see purpose in the universe, beyond survival, you have to believe in higher power. 

Media, businesses are behaving like sociopaths. They're all competing with one another, and worrying about how your policies are going to affect something else isn't profitable. 

The health risks are very real. 

I hope something is done about this. It seems some other countries are more healthy than the U.S. But yes, unfortunately fast food is big business. Why is it we don't get healthier options in ads? I don't see fruits and vegetables in the mix, sad to say. :(

Guest An Optimist
2 hours ago, tonynai said:

I hope something is done about this. It seems some other countries are more healthy than the U.S. But yes, unfortunately fast food is big business. Why is it we don't get healthier options in ads? I don't see fruits and vegetables in the mix, sad to say. :(

Nothing will be done. Unfettered free markets have minds of their own.