Fat Suit Critique

maxgrowth

Thought this might be the right place to post pics and discuss the pros and cons of various fatsuits. I would like to put up examples of my own work as well to get feedback in hopes of constantly improving the work we do. If this is not the correct forum, then please advise me where to go.
 Please try to be thoughtful and constructive, whether your feedback is positive or negative. I personally value all input.

Thanks in advance, Curvage members:)

Screenshot-mg-lucy-helpwantedHR2_w.mp4-4.png

Hi Maxgrowth,

I wanna say, before anything else, that the videos you make are the best I've ever seen in the inflation fantasy genre. I very much appreciate the work you're doing, and if/when you eventually pack up shop, we'll all be worse off.

In terms of specific criticism of the fat suit:

- the issue that jumps out at me the most is the suit's lack of hips, or sides in general. It doesn't really expand sideways.

This was more of an issue for me with the older suit Koa wore a couple of times. The newer, larger suit with the expanded rear is better in this respect, at least when it's fully inflated.

During the process though, the way the stomach only expands forward and not sideways as well breaks the illusion a bit.

I will say, though, that the thigh padding at smaller sizes you've tried in some of the more recent videos was really effective. If there was a way to combine leg/hip/side & back torso padding with the current inflatable props, that would be amazing. 

- When doing weight gain videos, it might help the illusion to run the body part expansions at the same time, rather than separately. This might just be personal taste, but when looking at a WG video as opposed to a Belly/Breast/Butt expansion, the image of the weight appearing all over rather than in parts might help (the Koa Ponzi simultaneous breast & butt expansion worked well.)

- In the earliest stage of its inflation, the butt prop doesn't look great. It's fairly obvious it's two spherical balloons.

Is there any way to restrict its growth in the early stages, so that it holds closer to the model's body? Possibly with a tighter under layer of clothing that could be removed once it gets half way?

- I'm making an assumption about your editing style here, so ignore me if I'm wrong, but: don't be afraid to cut away frequently from the prop as it expands, if you wanted to add padding or switch props, etc. Continuous, uncut shots aren't as important as the prop looking realistic, IMO.

A huge caveat to all of this: I don't know much about the process for shooting these videos, other than it's really, really difficult and time consuming. I suspect you're already aware of some of these issues, and the logistics of prop construction or the extra time & money it would consume on set is what's keeping you from attending to stuff like this. Also, any criticism of fetish work is ludicrously subjective and I'm aware these might just be my hang ups, so feel free to chuck all this crit in the bin :)

Thanks again, you're doing Gods work ?

Great work! I hope to see you develop it in the future.

I'm sure you'll find the best way for you and how you like to go about it. This is just an idea.  I've always been a fan of this persons fat suits. 

https://www.youtube.com/user/Nikki19NY/videos

She says she uses shapewear and garbage bags filled with water. I thought it was particularly clever. 

I've always been so-so on fat suits. But I like the work and creativity that goes into them. 

18 hours ago, bluepengreenpen said:

Hi Maxgrowth,

I wanna say, before anything else, that the videos you make are the best I've ever seen in the inflation fantasy genre. I very much appreciate the work you're doing, and if/when you eventually pack up shop, we'll all be worse off.

In terms of specific criticism of the fat suit:

- the issue that jumps out at me the most is the suit's lack of hips, or sides in general. It doesn't really expand sideways.

This was more of an issue for me with the older suit Koa wore a couple of times. The newer, larger suit with the expanded rear is better in this respect, at least when it's fully inflated.

During the process though, the way the stomach only expands forward and not sideways as well breaks the illusion a bit.

I will say, though, that the thigh padding at smaller sizes you've tried in some of the more recent videos was really effective. If there was a way to combine leg/hip/side & back torso padding with the current inflatable props, that would be amazing. 

- When doing weight gain videos, it might help the illusion to run the body part expansions at the same time, rather than separately. This might just be personal taste, but when looking at a WG video as opposed to a Belly/Breast/Butt expansion, the image of the weight appearing all over rather than in parts might help (the Koa Ponzi simultaneous breast & butt expansion worked well.)

- In the earliest stage of its inflation, the butt prop doesn't look great. It's fairly obvious it's two spherical balloons.

Is there any way to restrict its growth in the early stages, so that it holds closer to the model's body? Possibly with a tighter under layer of clothing that could be removed once it gets half way?

- I'm making an assumption about your editing style here, so ignore me if I'm wrong, but: don't be afraid to cut away frequently from the prop as it expands, if you wanted to add padding or switch props, etc. Continuous, uncut shots aren't as important as the prop looking realistic, IMO.

A huge caveat to all of this: I don't know much about the process for shooting these videos, other than it's really, really difficult and time consuming. I suspect you're already aware of some of these issues, and the logistics of prop construction or the extra time & money it would consume on set is what's keeping you from attending to stuff like this. Also, any criticism of fetish work is ludicrously subjective and I'm aware these might just be my hang ups, so feel free to chuck all this crit in the bin :)

Thanks again, you're doing Gods work ?

Thanks for the thoughtful and considerate input!

Yes. Many of the issues have already been "analyzed" for lack of a better word. The biggest issue with the fatsuits are having to deal with so many pieces and due to time constraints, having to match inflatables with static props. Everything has to "stack" together for lack of a better word, and that is where you typically see things like the lack of hips and a belly that does not go sideways very much. The fabrication of more "one-piece" props like the slip on Leg/hips/ass should make the overall look much better once the other items are fabricated. But those take lots of time, money and experimentation to perfect. So the "one-piece" Belly/Torso/Arms has been an elusive commodity so far. We are always working on new stuff and methods and anything you guys have to offer or suggest is greatly appreciated.

Specifically on one thing: The rear is the absolute hardest thing to get looking good early on. We have used at least 11 methods that I can recall for initial rear growth and none of them is universally effective.

18 hours ago, Eplix said:

Great work! I hope to see you develop it in the future.

I'm sure you'll find the best way for you and how you like to go about it. This is just an idea.  I've always been a fan of this persons fat suits. 

https://www.youtube.com/user/Nikki19NY/videos

She says she uses shapewear and garbage bags filled with water. I thought it was particularly clever. 

I've always been so-so on fat suits. But I like the work and creativity that goes into them. 

I have seen those videos and I agree, the look is pretty great. But, my experimentation has yet to yield anything that looks similar to that, and all my requests for assistance from Nikki have garnered only silence. There has to be some trick(s) in her process that she does not disclose.

Imo the key issues have been touched, like bolt-on props (its a fatsuit, they are kinda suposed to look heavy), too high or too low positioning (see Total body app for the maybe worst example, where Koas belly is practically all above her waist...), lack of padding adjacent areas (hips, legs mostly)...

As for Nikki19NY, there are a few of her videos showing the process and there you can see its very incremental and onion-like, with several layers of clothing and shapewear with stuffing in strategic places. The last phase of Ponzi pounds is maybe closest to this, imo one of the best fatsuits from the maxgrowth collection.

For me personally however the biggest issue is acting and story, some of the maxgrowth videos are very weak in this regard, with the good ones mostly in the past. Compare for example Fatty Godmother (obvious lack of props in latter part, but with more than enough action to make up for it), Strings Attached (worse fatsuit, but the weight is believable, the actress even knocks stuff over),  The Magical Maze Mis-Adventure (star jumps anyone? short but exciting) to videos like Big Booty Bride where Lucia is just on the phone (like, really?) and at the end we graciously get one too narrow door frame. That is even before we get to the specifics like i imagine the directorial instructions "Koa, now just stand there and show me a dozen more vaguely erotical ways to touch your breasts!" or "Lucia, i want to see your most sour and annoyed face, that will be fun to watch!" :D

I do understand that the videos are there to appeal to the widest possible crowd, and that people like me will maybe get a few dozens of seconds at the end from them (biggest, most complete prop), not much more (but, strangely. Fatty Godmother has excellent intermediates), however it is disheartening to see for example Ludella Hahn - Snow White & The 7 Vores or The Laughing Latina - My Strange Eating Disorder , which, if you ignore the vore, feature very nice work and do some things (believability, mostly) ARGUABLY better than the expansion/fatsuit focused expert :P 

Just my 2 cents :)

9 hours ago, MarcusMX said:

Imo the key issues have been touched, like bolt-on props (its a fatsuit, they are kinda suposed to look heavy), too high or too low positioning (see Total body app for the maybe worst example, where Koas belly is practically all above her waist...), lack of padding adjacent areas (hips, legs mostly)...

As for Nikki19NY, there are a few of her videos showing the process and there you can see its very incremental and onion-like, with several layers of clothing and shapewear with stuffing in strategic places. The last phase of Ponzi pounds is maybe closest to this, imo one of the best fatsuits from the maxgrowth collection.

For me personally however the biggest issue is acting and story, some of the maxgrowth videos are very weak in this regard, with the good ones mostly in the past. Compare for example Fatty Godmother (obvious lack of props in latter part, but with more than enough action to make up for it), Strings Attached (worse fatsuit, but the weight is believable, the actress even knocks stuff over),  The Magical Maze Mis-Adventure (star jumps anyone? short but exciting) to videos like Big Booty Bride where Lucia is just on the phone (like, really?) and at the end we graciously get one too narrow door frame. That is even before we get to the specifics like i imagine the directorial instructions "Koa, now just stand there and show me a dozen more vaguely erotical ways to touch your breasts!" or "Lucia, i want to see your most sour and annoyed face, that will be fun to watch!" :D

I do understand that the videos are there to appeal to the widest possible crowd, and that people like me will maybe get a few dozens of seconds at the end from them (biggest, most complete prop), not much more (but, strangely. Fatty Godmother has excellent intermediates), however it is disheartening to see for example Ludella Hahn - Snow White & The 7 Vores or The Laughing Latina - My Strange Eating Disorder , which, if you ignore the vore, feature very nice work and do some things (believability, mostly) ARGUABLY better than the expansion/fatsuit focused expert :P 

Just my 2 cents :)

Thanks for the commentary. It's extremely valuable.

In the beginning we were producing much fewer videos. And I don't want to bore you with personal time restrictions in my own life that have increasingly creeped up over the last few years. So, I was able to more heavily script the clips and also put more time into the production. I was also in a position to subsidize the cost of the clips, as almost every clip I did in the early days went WAY over budget. Since then, I have been constantly struggling with how to fulfill the more creative elements of the clips with the nuts and bolts issues of actually producing them. My Patreon has been slowly growing, and I am hopeful that one day I can quit my 60 hour a week dayjob and focus entirely on making clips. I constantly dream about being able to make full length expansion films, and or television style episodic content.

It takes me about 6 hours to "fully" script, what I consider to be a "fresh" or thematically satisfying clip. Add in the pre-production, which can run another 3 - 6 hours. The shoot itself takes typically 6 hours or longer on fatsuit days. Then there is the set-up and break-down which is another 2 hours, not counting travel times to locations. So, you can see the time adds up quickly. I have endeavored to make the best quality clips under my current circumstances.

But, I think you bring up really important points. And that is why honest and critical feedback is so important. I will try to figure out how I can best spend my time in the scriptwriting and pre-production phase and do my best to determine a way that I can try to increase the story strengths and maintain production control and costs.

FYI: Ponzi Pounds looked so good because that particular style of dress had a front flap that allowed the large breasts to be covered without creating constriction on the belly and rear. In a normal one-piece dress, you have three huge elements competing for space and putting massive tension on them and you can imagine that causes issues. I will ask my costumer if she can make some new dresses in that particular style and maybe we can re-create that Ponzi look.

3 hours ago, maxgrowth said:

FYI: Ponzi Pounds looked so good because that particular style of dress had a front flap that allowed the large breasts to be covered without creating constriction on the belly and rear. In a normal one-piece dress, you have three huge elements competing for space and putting massive tension on them and you can imagine that causes issues. I will ask my costumer if she can make some new dresses in that particular style and maybe we can re-create that Ponzi look.

I would maybe add that the padded arms and even details, like the dress being more free flowing past the butt helped realism (compare to the backside bubbles of fine print part 2). You can do so nice hips/backsides otherwise (Magical Maze - The Runes: Part 2, Bridezilla's revenge - but this ones backside maybe too big, for example).

And she bounced around a bit :)

Nikky19NY's approach had probably the advantage that the props are so fixed, substantial and heavy, that they look well even in constricting clothing, but i am not sure it is practicable outside of one being an enthusiast.

Honestly, I love good fat suits. Above just the plot, I love the idea of the woman inside contemplating and navigating the sudden 'fatness' of her role on a personal basis. 

There was a thread on 'another website' that contemplated different methodologies for creating the fat. It seems that the consensus is around water and/or gels as the best way to achieve this. I experimented with creating the gel a little on my own time, using the paint hardener additive people talked about. I was amazed by the accuracy of its weight and movement. The main difficulty was figuring out how to hold up SO MANY POUNDS of synthetic fat. Perhaps this would be useful in a scene with limited but very real movement of the actress? 

Which brings up another point: I think sometimes fat suits are naturally lighter than fat in order to make them easier to create and use. However, this often means that the actresses also don't convey the real heft that said fat would have. This goes for Hollywood too, not just our little corner of the world. I remember the method actor for 'The Whale' electing to wear around ankle weights just to remind himself of the weightiness--and difficulty--of having an obese body. 

• 3 weeks later...