Weight Gain after 25

go4thegold

So I have a friend who is rather on the big side now, but hasn't always been that way. For most of her life, she was rather skinny, and was even able to eat pretty much whatever she wanted an still stay thin. That all changed when she turned 25, and her metabolism slowed down dramatically compared to what it was before then. The end result was her going from 115 in 2013 when she turned 25, to 145 the next summer, to 175, in 2015, to 180 in 2016, to 185 now.

Learning about this, it got me wondering exactly what caused such a rapid decrease in her metabolism, and whether or not something like this was exclusive to just her, or if it was something that was a lot more common. Now, she had two kids before she turned 25, and she mentioned that after her pregnancies, her stomach muscles were messed up afterwards, so I was thinking that might have been a contributing factor, but I'm not an expert on these sort of matters. Anyway, I figured that there are other people on here who are more experienced in this area, and decided to pose this question to see what your thoughts are on this matter. Your answers are always appreciated, and thanks in advance for your input.

Guest high

Metabolism slows as you get older. People keep their metabolism up through exercise and building muscle, which burns calories even at rest. However, if you do neither, you will most likely get fat, especially with all this awesome food we have.

Sometimes everything comes together all at once.  I myself a (guy) was always Tall, thin and sinewy muscular.  Between the ages of 24-26, having a Desk job, stopped playing competitive sports after college, my metabolism slowed down & continued eating and drinking like I always had.  Gained a bunch of weight....I was the same guy in my head that people would refer to the tall athletic thin muscular guy to now referred to at my new job as the big guy.  I went from 170 lbs to 230+ lbs. in around a year and a half.

I think the two big changes in weight usually occur when you go off to college our are on your own feeding yourself a bunch of carb loaded & processed foods leading to a major change in weight and fat and the other is around that 23-27 age with most people and there metabolism changing coupled with the things I mentioned abob=ve.

Guest Reluctantfatlover

I would say some girls' metabolism starts slowing down as early as their late teens.

Age. Biological clock. Sedentarity. Genetics. Environmental conditions. Chemically-fueled food. G.M.O. . Stress. Motherhood. Lesser daily active lifestyle. Age again. A radioactive spider (lol)-- well!!... a pretty lot of things may cause massive weight gaining over time.

Age. Biological clock. Sedentarity. Genetics. Environmental conditions. Chemically-fueled food. G.M.O. . Stress. Motherhood. Lesser daily active lifestyle. Age again. A radioactive spider (lol)-- well!!... a pretty lot of things may cause massive weight gaining over time.

radioactive spider fat lol

Guest MUSEic

A lot of people mention metabolism slowing down, and while they're not wrong, it's actually not for the immediate reasons you would think.

What people don't realize is that even though people finish the majority of their height growth by their mid to late teens, our brains are still constantly developing and rewiring well into our 20s. That requires an ENORMOUS amount of energy, so while we may not be growing on the outside, we are certainly growing on the inside in a sense.

Now, that begins to slow down in the early 20s, and comes to a halt for most people around 25.

Your internal organs also continue to grow for several years beyond puberty.

Exercise burns surprisingly few calories. Nevertheless, for most people, life gets busier as we get older. That means less time to work out or play sports. So a teenager who might routinely burn 100-500 extra calories a day working out or doing stupid teenager shit, suddenly has anywhere from 500 to a few thousand calories surplus as we they become more sedentary.

Less sleep contributes, though in the grand scheme of things probably relatively little.

Yet, control all of the above and 99% of people will still gain weight without diet and lifestyle changes because we stop expending energy on internal remodeling.