Is this fat-shaming?

Jabba Desilijic Tiure

https://www.buzzfeed.com/tasneemnashrulla/courtroom-sketches-of-harvey-weinstein?utm_term=.uf32m7Bng#.at3PMNnAD

Everyone is applauding this 'Jane Rosenberg' courtroom sketch artist for making Harvey Weinstein far more rotund in her rendition of him.

So since the dude is obviously a monster, I'd have to take issue with her obviously equating obesity with evilness....or at the very least, making someone with larger belly less enviable or more rightfully subject to humiliation and shame.

Just put horns on him(though that might have a rather negative connotation, considering his background), Jane....we get that you're trying to make him appear as less of a human - because he undoubtedly is - but why throw the overweight community under the bus.  It's such an old, trite, and nasty stereotype that the 'fatties' are angry, deviant, or bitter in some outstanding format.

Am I being too sensitive and trying to speak on behalf of a demographic that I'm not even close to representing(anymore, my avatar picture is outdated)?

As you can see, the other artist present apparently had Donald Rumsfeld on the mind:

1200px-Rumsfeld1_(cropped).jpg

sub-buzz-16504-1527267708-15.jpg

Looks more like some artistic rendition than something really intended to be size-shaming.

If there had any prejudical intention behind that, I don't think that the artist in question would be accused by some influent lobby to make look Weinstein like an ogre based on a loose caricature of his features. "LOOK AT ME, GOYS!! I'M HARVEY WEINSTEIN, I AM A BIG, FAT, BRETZEL-ADDLED OGRE AND I SUCKLED THE VERY NECTARS OUT OF THEE MADEMOISELLES HYMENS!! EXCEPT LUPITA CANNOT-REMEMBER-INTENTIONALLY-THE-NAME BECAUSE SHE'S A CUSHIM AND I DON'T TOUCH IT, BUT I SLAMMED MY BIG, FAT COCK UNTO ALL THEE UNDERAGE MODELS YA!! PRIMA NOCTA!!

Yep. We may easily suppose there might been also some antisemitic innuado behind this rendition if we follow this logical scheme

Guest fishmish

The sketches are definitely, at least in part, a product of fat-phobia. It's quite likely that artist Jane Rosenberg has a fairly negative image of fat people in general.

I think the idea here is that he's a pig, as in a disgusting, sexually-voracious, misogynist, and so the art plays up his pig-like attributes. 

It's not a good sketch, all in all. Not only does she make him fatter, she also makes his skin tone darker. The sketch rather looks like a black man being taken into custody by two white men. Courtroom sketches aren't supposed to be caricatures, or am I mistaken?

10 hours ago, John Smith said:

Looks more like some artistic rendition than something really intended to be size-shaming.

If there had any prejudical intention behind that, I don't think that the artist in question would be accused by some influent lobby to make look Weinstein like an ogre based on a loose caricature of his features. "LOOK AT ME, GOYS!! I'M HARVEY WEINSTEIN, I AM A BIG, FAT, BRETZEL-ADDLED OGRE AND I SUCKLED THE VERY NECTARS OUT OF THEE MADEMOISELLES HYMENS!! EXCEPT LUPITA CANNOT-REMEMBER-INTENTIONALLY-THE-NAME BECAUSE SHE'S A CUSHIM AND I DON'T TOUCH IT, BUT I SLAMMED MY BIG, FAT COCK UNTO ALL THEE UNDERAGE MODELS YA!! PRIMA NOCTA!!

Yep. We may easily suppose there might been also some antisemitic innuado behind this rendition if we follow this logical scheme

Well, again....'Rosenberg'.  So I doubt it's heritage-based.

Actually, wait....Dr. Dre in 30ish years???

4CA0E78E00000578-5773035-Many_were_quick_to_point_out_that_the_former_Hollywood_producer_-a-2_1527287683270.jpg

On 5/27/2018 at 3:46 PM, fishmish said:

The sketches are definitely, at least in part, a product of fat-phobia. It's quite likely that artist Jane Rosenberg has a fairly negative image of fat people in general.

I think the idea here is that he's a pig, as in a disgusting, sexually-voracious, misogynist, and so the art plays up his pig-like attributes. 

It's not a good sketch, all in all. Not only does she make him fatter, she also makes his skin tone darker. The sketch rather looks like a black man being taken into custody by two white men. Courtroom sketches aren't supposed to be caricatures, or am I mistaken?

23 hours ago, Jabba Desilijic Tiure said:

Well, again....'Rosenberg'.  So I doubt it's heritage-based.

Actually, wait....Dr. Dre in 30ish years???

4CA0E78E00000578-5773035-Many_were_quick_to_point_out_that_the_former_Hollywood_producer_-a-2_1527287683270.jpg  7   53.32 kB

james franco what GIF

.......... wait. This undertopic is really teetering in my mind since earlier and I need to clear out about this. Is it truly how you people visualize black men in courtrooms sketches?? 

Dr. Dre... I don't think so.

Well, someone else did....

1 hour ago, John Smith said:

james franco what GIF

.......... wait. This undertopic is really teetering in my mind since earlier and I need to clear out about this. Is it truly how you people visualize black men in courtrooms sketches?? 

Not sure what you're getting at....or trying to get at.  I see monsters as monsters.  No race, gender, religious views, sexual orientation, height, weight, hair color, et al. precludes someone from being a monster or makes them more prone to being a monster.

Orenthal James Simpson is a monster who happens to be black.  Ditto Bill Cosby.  Weinstein is a monster who happens to be Jewish.  Larry Nassar is a monster who happens to be Syrian.  Brittany Zamora is a heroine monster who happens to be a blonde female.  With Michael Jackson, we haven't a solid clue as to whether or not he's a monster(hence the justified acquittal), but then again that's kinda a moot point since his(?) race, gender, and species are all also ongoing points of contention.

I'm not implying anything about black men, but rather offering commentary on a bizarrely intriguing attempt by a sketch artist apparently injecting her own personal biases into a visual representation.

Don't try to Johnnie Cochran me here. 

"If you don't get my humor, you mustn't start a rumor"
@John Smith

Guest fishmish

Come again? The artist chose a completely different and darker tone for Harvey Weinstein as contrasted with the other two figures, who have pink splashed across their faces. Harvey has only a few tiny patches of that pinkness. All in all, Jane Rosenberg's shadowing of Weinstein is equally as dark as that of Cosby, if not more so. But to answer your question, or how I've interpreted your question, no, I'm not familiar with courtroom sketches and their limitations. Still, I think it was a poorly chosen palette.

Also, I'm just a person, not people. 🙂

DeDlwhlVQAALXa4.jpg

DeDl8QrV4AAOtW-.jpg

12 hours ago, Jabba Desilijic Tiure said:

Well, someone else did....

Not sure what you're getting at....or trying to get at.  I see monsters as monsters.  No race, gender, religious views, sexual orientation, height, weight, hair color, et al. precludes someone from being a monster or makes them more prone to being a monster.

Orenthal James Simpson is a monster who happens to be black.  Ditto Bill Cosby.  Weinstein is a monster who happens to be Jewish.  Larry Nassar is a monster who happens to be Syrian.  Brittany Zamora is a heroine monster who happens to be a blonde female.  With Michael Jackson, we haven't a solid clue as to whether or not he's a monster(hence the justified acquittal), but then again that's kinda a moot point since his(?) race, gender, and species are all also ongoing points of contention.

I'm not implying anything about black men, but rather offering commentary on a bizarrely intriguing attempt by a sketch artist apparently injecting her own personal biases into a visual representation.

Don't try to Johnnie Cochran me here. 

"If you don't get my humor, you mustn't start a rumor"
@John Smith

That was a rhetotical question, not a race baiting. I noticed that somebody compared this caricature of Weinstein to a black man in a courtroom while you later referenced Dr. Dre. Like I am not American, I finally opined that there has perhaps something of culturally underimplied about it, so I just wanted to know why this cultural pattern.

2 hours ago, fishmish said:

Come again? The artist chose a completely different and darker tone for Harvey Weinstein as contrasted with the other two figures, who have pink splashed across their faces. Harvey has only a few tiny patches of that pinkness. All in all, Jane Rosenberg's shadowing of Weinstein is equally as dark as that of Cosby, if not more so. But to answer your question, or how I've interpreted your question, no, I'm not familiar with courtroom sketches and their limitations. Still, I think it was a poorly chosen palette.

Also, I'm just a person, not people. 🙂

You are a person, indeed. However, the fact you compared Harvey Weinstein's caricatural rendition to a courtroom sketch about a black man based was intriguing. The fact that Jabba referenced later Dr. Dre was as intriguing (and there, there have no more just a person, but people) . So I was trying to figure out if there had any cultural pattern implied.

Also... I just cannot speak about these Rosenberg sketched because actually the only example of undertones used alike Weinstein on black men are those used for this sketch about Cosby. So, I don't know if she kept to consistently depict coloured men convicted for severe crime/s like this.