Plus Size Bechdel Test

bluetech

For those who aren't aware, the Bedchel test is a litmus test for movies that tests representation of women. Essentially, a movie passes the test if the movie features two female characters who have a dialog about something other than a man. Surprisingly few movies actually pass this test.

Along these lines, I propose the Plus Size Bedchel Test, in which a movie or TV show passes if it has a plus sized actress in a leading role or significant supporting role (has dialog in multiple scenes and whose actions drive the plot) whose character's plot lines and backstory aren't based on her weight. In other words, a plus sized actress in a role that could have just as easily be played by a skinny actress without any changes to the script. 

Can anybody think of any movies or TV shows which would pass the test?

37 minutes ago, Dr. Feeder said:

It's not meant to be a measure of quality--just a very minimal standard.

It’s still bizarre though because the “involving a man” thing is just ridiculous because it doesn’t mean romantically involving swooning over a man it means are they discussing a character who is male. Such that you can can have two strong female supporting actors who both play crucial roles in the movie who have just saved the main characters ass and it’s the first time they meet near the end of the movie they fail the “is this feminist” enough test because they were inconveniently trying to deal with current situation of trying to keep one of the characters from dying of mortal wounds. If men and woman play equally important roles in movies than great, if there’s a movies where it is almost exclusively men due to the setting that’s also ok, if there is a movie that is almost exclusively woman due to the setting that is also ok. It’s art not a medium to satisfy people’s political opinions so don’t treat it as such

2 hours ago, Cottonsox said:

It’s still bizarre though because the “involving a man” thing is just ridiculous because it doesn’t mean romantically involving swooning over a man it means are they discussing a character who is male. Such that you can can have two strong female supporting actors who both play crucial roles in the movie who have just saved the main characters ass and it’s the first time they meet near the end of the movie they fail the “is this feminist” enough test because they were inconveniently trying to deal with current situation of trying to keep one of the characters from dying of mortal wounds. If men and woman play equally important roles in movies than great, if there’s a movies where it is almost exclusively men due to the setting that’s also ok, if there is a movie that is almost exclusively woman due to the setting that is also ok. It’s art not a medium to satisfy people’s political opinions so don’t treat it as such

I never said it was a standard everyone has to honor! In fact I wouldn't judge any one movie for failing this test. The interesting part is that so many movies flunk it.

I think the usefulness of the bechdel test is more in statistical purposes. Whether a particular movie passes won’t tell you whether it is a good movie or not. But in aggregate it will give useful statistical insight as to whether movies of a given category have a tendency to treat women as eye candy or as actual human beings who can think for themselves. 

Anyway, I regret even bringing bechdel up in the OP as it led to a derail right away and only the first reply is actually on topic. I only meant it as an example of an existing simple rule to categorize movies. It would be neat to continue the discussion of the merits of the bechdel test, just not here. I would prefer if this thread stick to discussing movies and TV shows that star plus size actresses who play parts that don’t revolve around the fact that they are fat, and I would ask the mods to move the bechdel specific posts to a new thread in the appropriate forum. 

5 hours ago, das Hirschlein said:

The problem is, I can remember very few movies involving a female character who is overweight, and in almost all cases being overweight is what defines her role ( the fat girl/women). The Hollywood bias is evident.

And that’s the whole point. I want to find out if there are any movies that overcome that bias. 

On 7/18/2018 at 8:37 PM, A Saucerful Of Harry said:

I've always found the bedchel test to be pointless and stupid, for example Thor: The Dark World passes the bedchel test but that doesn't change the fact that the movie is awful.

Not as awful than the third sequel...