Kirsty Alley

Robnorm100

7 minutes ago, maltesefalcon said:

The fact that  she's 67 years old might have something to do with it. Comes with age...

She said she started gaining after Cheers ended in 1993, and that the weight really started to pile on once she took time off to raise her kids (from all the holiday cooking). I guess that means she was in her early forties when she got fat. One of the perks of getting older=)

57 minutes ago, riptoryx said:

She gained a noticeable amount of weight during her run on "Cheers." To the point that it was even written into the plot of an episode or two.

Wow so she was in her thirties when she started gaining? Nice!

6 hours ago, Gusto said:

She said she started gaining after Cheers ended in 1993, and that the weight really started to pile on once she took time off to raise her kids (from all the holiday cooking). I guess that means she was in her early forties when she got fat. One of the perks of getting older=)

I was replying to the comment of gaining 45 pounds in one summer. I was assuming it was this summer, not 1993.

11 hours ago, Gusto said:
12 hours ago, riptoryx said:

She gained a noticeable amount of weight during her run on "Cheers." To the point that it was even written into the plot of an episode or two.

Wow so she was in her thirties when she started gaining? Nice!

I'm pretty sure she even mentioned a bit in interviews around the time the final episode of "Cheers" aired, but it's difficult to find stuff of that vintage online.

Still, here's an article from 2005 that discusses some references she made about weight issues during the "Cheers" run: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/3644253/I-always-thought-I-was-too-fat-to-have-sex.html

I've pasted the most relevant snippet below.

Kirstie Alley tells John Hiscock how she learnt to laugh at her weight

It is the summons every TV actress in Hollywood dreads - the call to the network executive's office to be told: "You're putting on weight. You have to lose it, otherwise…"

It happened to Kirstie Alley twice, when she was in the long-running series Cheers, in which she played barmaid Rebecca Howe, and later in her own series, Veronica's Closet. But unlike other actresses who, after receiving the "shake the weight" warning, throw themselves into diet-and-exercise programmes, Alley kept on eating.

She eventually ate herself out of a job and off TV. Before too long, her only exposure to the public was via unflattering paparazzi shots in gossip magazines showing her eating chips or coming out of fast-food restaurants.

It was distressing at the time but, looking back, she humorously describes the stages of denial and ultimate acceptance she went through. "I'm tall so I could trick myself into thinking I could carry it off," she says. "I could look at myself a certain way and say, 'Your waist is little,' or 'You look good from this angle,' but eventually I ran out of angles and then I was done for." She can laugh now because she is probably the first woman to defy Hollywood's strict demand for slimness and emerge triumphant.

Thank you so much for sharing this! I couldn't help but laugh when I read, "She eventually ate herself out of a job and off TV. " :lol:

But my favorite part was, "But unlike other actresses who, after receiving the "shake the weight" warning, throw themselves into diet-and-exercise programmes, Alley kept on eating." Good for her!

• 4 weeks later...

She was super-curvy in her SNL appearance BITD. I still remember her spoofing then-popular diet maven Susan Powter... Stuffed into a leotard, her hips and thighs were huge. Her Showtime show Fat Actress is also worth checking out. It's not a good show on any level besides the fact a lot of the story lines are about her weight (see: title) and she wears some pretty daring stuff. Veronica's Closet starred Alley and another of my all-time fave plus-sized actresses, Kathy Najimy (who's since slimmed down, drat), but they always dressed the two of them in huge, flowy layered dresses that hid all the good stuff.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...