Scholarly Paper on Women Getting Fat on Purpose

Guest grateful

Guest grateful

I have sometimes wondered where all this FA stuff came from.

Maybe we have done all this before = been fattened and fattened others. ?

Guest DailyDose

The most relevant narrative in the Nights involves a verbal duel between a fat slave girl and a thin one, one bout of a tournament orchestrated by their owner that also pits a fair-skinned girl against a dark-complexioned one and a blonde against a brunette. The fat slave girl opens with a dramatic display of bodily confidence; pointing to her scrawny rival, she bares her legs and wrists, then reveals her belly to display its folds (ṭayyāt). She then dons a sheer garment that displays her entire body before beginning, “Praise be to God who created me, made my form beautiful, and made me fat…” Her recital ends with a bawdy couplet lamenting the lot of the man who must sleep with a bony woman.

Amen.

Well, the Islamic world has long seen fuller, plumper female bodies like an epitome of beauty ideal. It is only since a few couple of decades that we observe the Westernization of beauty ideals slowly influencing their everyday lives. Now, the ideal woman should been now looking Caucasian-like, light-skinned and thinly featured from head to shoulders, but must been nonetheless dark haired with a set of dark-to-"fair" eyes to accentuate her ethnicity: a slight difference to the medieval era wherein the perception of beauty in such a multicultural, cross-racial sphere dealing with a pluriality of trading cultures and ethnicities had to be as much plurial interms of beauty ideals. The ideal woman could range from the "fair"-skinned Slavic and West Europeans maids to the ebony hued so-called "Nilotic" women, past the dark-complexioned Berbers to pale-skinned-yet-frizzly-haire Circassians. Of course, a major part of these different societies has long valorized fertile, overwillowy marriageable girls and much of the Arabic culture has been semi-nomadic so that's evident that a woman at optimal health back then meant being ample.

As Egypt had been the crossroads between this cultural sphere and the African world during medieval times, I am not surprized that bigger women have been perceived as then during fourteenth century.

Reading this article, I may notice that the practise of fattening up women with piles of bread in Egypt even predates the fourtheenth century and was already practised during eighteth century A.D. , so to speak during an era where Egypt wasn't fully Arabicized yet and this kind of practise already forbidden by Islamic law since the Hegire. It somehow remind meabout a prenuptial practise still currently exercised among the tribewomen of a Moorish clan in pmodern-day Mauritania or a fewer handful of other analogous premarital practises all over Subsaharian Africa, which let me to deduce that the very custom was pretty much indigenous to the Egyptians. 

The only question concerns me issues: "but since then?" .
From the advent of the pharaonic era to the Greek conquest, Egyptians has long valorized a tall, lithe, sylphid silhouette as epitome of feminine beauty while in the meantime, we however observe that some of their contemporary neighbors-- e.g. the Nubians and ancient Ethiopians - all considered by the concerned ones as few of their their closest kin, accordingly the concerned ones themselves firsthand then a plentful of present-time scientific evidence gathered for decades - were instead emphasizing the exact opposite: fuller, hyper-callypigous and ample bodies are a fair commonality among much of the Nubian, Puntite and sometimes Cushite queens depicted in ancient temples and necropoles all over the Nile valley. We can also deduce that the latter Hellenization of Egypt and his neighbors have certainly shifted forever indigenous ideals of beauty, as fuller figured women weren't rare in ancient Greece neither.
The very ruling family in the land of pharaohs for nearly three centuries, the Lagid dynasty, was best known for his many members and monarchs been exceedingly fat. Their most famous descendant, Cleopatra, was herself described as a plump woman.

I am stupefied to learn that many centuries before the advent of the Industrial Revolution which marked much of the modern Western world alike the rest of the globe at the turn of the nineteenth then early twentieth centuries, there was already common among some women from well-to-do and even more impevorished city-dwelling families in respectively post-Byzantine era Northeastern and Norrthern Africa then pre-islamic/early Islamic era Arab world to not only fully eroticize the entire spectrum of feminine obesity, but also to achieve near-to-complete immobility at a very young age and still being viewed as the utmost sex symbols by much of their contemporaries. 

Fortunately, time travelling is still but a hypothetical dream or otherwise, Western Fat Admirers would have literally invented periodical sex tourism alike Neo-Orientalist fat fetishism. Thousands of mostly swarthy-to-ebony-complexioned bombshells wobbling and quaking away their mammoth buses of arses in the midst of Agrabah-themed locations, all cladded by literral milestones of Tartar silk woven hijabes and luxurious garments...?? End of the world.