I can't handle the Connecticut bleating on Facebook

bdog

Wow!  I used to think you were "hot" but I suddenly find you very unattractive.

I know I took a risk by saying that, and I am sorry it wasn't received well. I live in a VERY conservative area of CA and am constantly barraged by hypocritical republican and Christian "ideals." Now most of my friends and family are Christians, but only a few are actually spiritual in any way. These people are close-minded elitists who use a book to strip others of their human rights. I've seen it and its ugly.

I probably shouldn't generalize, but that's just my experience.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest WJones081

And the bible still says I'll spend an eternity in hell

Well you know they say. I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.

Not even close to what it says. Maybe some douche you talked to said that, perhaps. I would be willing to bet you've not read the bible.

I always have to wonder how many Christians believe not because they are conditioned to believe through transference from their parents, but because of some kind of internal revelation?

What is the percentage of Christians who come from a pre-dominantly non-Christian/believer environment?

Because if most Christians are Christian because they are conditioned to be, this means the construct of God is only still in existence because it has been perpetuated throughout time much like a myth. And sure, myths are nice to tell your children at bed-time, but that usually ends at age 10.

The only book with Jesus in it is a comic book from which I have attached a short comic. Enjoy ;D

post-746-14513258997793_thumb.jpg

Not even close to what it says. Maybe some douche you talked to said that, perhaps. I would be willing to bet you've not read the bible.

It's true that I haven't read it cover to cover. (Have you?) But until about 18, I was a devout Christian. I've been on both sides of this. I'm a better person now.

Yeah, hey, does anybody out there have any statistics or links to some articles about gun violence in the USA? I suddenly feel the need to have an opinion on this issue.

(Seriously can't believe I'm sort of agreeing with flamins about something.)

I'll tell you: way higher than in any other developed country.

I went to Wikipedia. Here's a list of massacres in the whole world excluding US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_shooting

Now compare the number with the ones only in US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_shootings_in_the_United_States

´

Anyway, i like to be completely aware of what i am devout for/to(?).

Which is probably why I'm not a christian anymore. :) I believed because I was raised to believe. I didn't come to it on my own through extensive research. That's not to say I didn't feel a very personal relationship with the god I believed in then, though, and that's what I mean by "devout." Anything else I can clarify for you?

Which is probably why I'm not a christian anymore. :) I believed because I was raised to believe. I didn't come to it on my own through extensive research. That's not to say I didn't feel a very personal relationship with the god I believed in then, though, and that's what I mean by "devout." Anything else I can clarify for you?

Well, i've always wondered what the meaning of life is...

• Moderators

My two cents on this whole thing...

In regards to the "woe is me" people from Connecticut...

If you were directly affected by this tragedy (i.e. someone in your family goes to that school or you are at least family friends with someone affected), my heart goes to you. If you just happen to live in the area and are looking to get on the pity bandwagon - fuck you, you attention-seeking vapid existence of a life. My hometown is Chardon OH. For those who have forgotten or do not know, a shooting occurred at the high school earlier this year, leaving several students dead. I graduated in 2005, so I am pretty far removed from the school. Nevertheless, I sat at the very cafeteria table where those kids were shot and killed as my homeroom during sophomore year. I knew/had the teachers that were in the news. However, not once did I want my family, colleagues and friends to pity me personally. I did not know the shooter and I did not know the victims personally. Did it tear apart my hometown? Absolutely. Did it make me sad? Absolutely. But I felt (and still feel) that sympathy should be forwarded to those who were directly affected. It's like the first season of Rescue Me where the one firefighter and 9/11 responder, Lou, goes to a group therapy session for 9/11 grief counseling. He is appalled when he finds out nobody else in that room was even in the buildings that day: they had just watched the news or "knew someone who knew someone" that was there that day. Get over yourselves!

In regards to the media coverage of these events...

I think school shootings reflect some of the darkest hours for capitalistic journalism. They go on and on about the killer, not the victims, because it sells. Hell, in the case of this latest school shooting, they didn't even have the right person as the suspect for many hours! I could go on about how the integrity of every news station that reported on this false information should be in shambles and people should go elsewhere, but that's another topic for another day... Anyways, can you name one victim of the Chardon shootings? Their names were all eventually made public knowledge. I'm from Chardon and I cannot. I can tell you the shooter's - TJ Lane. There are medical professionals out there who urge media to stop glorifying the killers in these situations, yet nothing ever comes of it. Instead they glorify the violence, the trauma, the shock and want to instill fear into the average person's soul. Why? Because that is a person who will not change the channel and will help ad revenue. After what had happened to my hometown, I do not listen to anything the news is saying until the official police report is available. I suggest you do the same.

In regards to people from Connecticut (and elsewhere) who are now speaking out...

Now we will hear all the same arguments that are made every time something like this happens: tighter gun control and more security at schools. I really dislike the gun control argument, and this is coming from someone who doesn't personally own a firearm nor really cares for them. Gun control was not going to stop the shooter in my hometown (he got the gun from a family member's house and it was a legal firearm) and I highly doubt it was going to stop the shooter in Connecticut. More security at schools is a nice idea, but keep in mind our population at large is foaming at the mouth for cutting budgets over tax increases. You really think we can afford to beef up the security at our public schools right now? We can barely afford to keep our current teaching staff. These same arguments were made by people in Chardon after it happened to us. Sadly, these arguments will never gain traction until people ditch the NIMBY attitude about these things. A school shooting may very well never happen in your community, and I really hope that is the case. But people need more empathy instead of sympathy and actually do something about this. Every time I see jokes getting cracked about mass shootings (v-tech just kicked in yo!), I know we are nowhere close as a society to fixing this issue.

In conclusion...

I feel that I am in a unique situation with this current event because my initial thought was "oh shit, not again!" and "been there, done that". I know that horrible "pit of your stomach" feeling you get when you first hear about the incident. As I've already said, my heart goes to those directly affected by this. The media does eventually leave and the community will heal, but it takes time. The best thing you can do is understand the root of this issue, one that very few people talk about: mental health. I'm not trying to preach here, but please take care in looking out for friends and family. If you see any signs of mental duress, be the better person and do something about it. Will this make the issue go away? Most definitely not. But it might help reduce the number of incidents we have to endure.

I don't necessarily think this is a matter of gun control, so much as it is a matter of having accessible and highly affordable Mental Health Care.

Like with drugs, even if you make it hard to obtain something you want, if you really want to do it, you'll find a way to do it. Just watched a documentary about Meth last night. In the Oregon area alone, while it's harder to obtain pseudophederine (sp?) without a prescription, and the home production has gone down significantly, there has not been a change in the amount of meth being supplied to people who genuinely want it. That's the case here with guns.

What we need to do is make it so that it's not taboo to go see a therapist or a councilor when you're feeling upset or down about things. We also need to provide classes, I feel as young as elementary school, in self defense. Being able to defend yourself and knowing that you actually can do something about a situation is a highly liberating idea and one that may save lives.

My two cents on this whole thing...

In regards to the "woe is me" people from Connecticut...

If you were directly affected by this tragedy (i.e. someone in your family goes to that school or you are at least family friends with someone affected), my heart goes to you. If you just happen to live in the area and are looking to get on the pity bandwagon - fuck you, you attention-seeking vapid existence of a life. My hometown is Chardon OH. For those who have forgotten or do not know, a shooting occurred at the high school earlier this year, leaving several students dead. I graduated in 2005, so I am pretty far removed from the school. Nevertheless, I sat at the very cafeteria table where those kids were shot and killed as my homeroom during sophomore year. I knew/had the teachers that were in the news. However, not once did I want my family, colleagues and friends to pity me personally. I did not know the shooter and I did not know the victims personally. Did it tear apart my hometown? Absolutely. Did it make me sad? Absolutely. But I felt (and still feel) that sympathy should be forwarded to those who were directly affected. It's like the first season of Rescue Me where the one firefighter and 9/11 responder, Lou, goes to a group therapy session for 9/11 grief counseling. He is appalled when he finds out nobody else in that room was even in the buildings that day: they had just watched the news or "knew someone who knew someone" that was there that day. Get over yourselves!

I can relate to GTA's sentiments on this. My hometown was in Omaha, Ne. There was a shooting in Jan of 2011 at my old High School. It was saddening because my vice principal died, but never once did I want to be pitied. She did a lot for me. In December of 2007, there was a shooting at Von Maur. Both of which are incidents that the rest of the world may have forgotten, but they are still very much part of Omaha. But in this regards, the people of Omaha didn't feel sympathy towards the whole city in each of these incidents, they felt sympathy towards the lives lost and the families of those lost. =/

In conclusion...

I feel that I am in a unique situation with this current event because my initial thought was "oh shit, not again!" and "been there, done that". I know that horrible "pit of your stomach" feeling you get when you first hear about the incident. As I've already said, my heart goes to those directly affected by this. The media does eventually leave and the community will heal, but it takes time. The best thing you can do is understand the root of this issue, one that very few people talk about: mental health. I'm not trying to preach here, but please take care in looking out for friends and family. If you see any signs of mental duress, be the better person and do something about it. Will this make the issue go away? Most definitely not. But it might help reduce the number of incidents we have to endure.

I can definitely say and reflect on everything you've said. Omaha eventually did heal and go on. I think, thankfully that one of the things that helped is that they are known for the College World Series and the Olympic Swim trials. So, in that light, Omaha is not known as a town where mass shootings take place and it's more of an afterthought, at least to me. However, I do know that there is a lot of gun crimes that still takes place there and a lot of it is gang related more than it is mental health related. My parents tell me that at least once a week there's a shooting that happens there. =/

But in cases of these mass shootings, what has been seen is that the shooters are between the ages of 15-25, a time where mental and physical changes are happening. Also a time where testosterone is surging, and during a time where most boys/teens/men learn that you're not a man if you show your emotions and that, once again, like I mentioned before, it's taboo to have to see a mental health professional. That you're then a freak or something is wrong with you. The attitude of this needs to change. Yes, talking about gun control is nice, but once again, if you want to do something bad enough, you'll find a way to do it.

The issue is plain and simple:

Guns don't kill people, cunts kill people with guns. Get rid of the guns and the cunts will have a much harder job at killing so many without being taken down.

Failing that, everyone in the USA needs to take a pledge to kill one less person per day.

I believed because I was raised to believe.

Is there any other way to believe except to be made to? :P

And that definition of devout doesn't mean anything practically. Not a critic, just saying. ;)

Is there any other way to believe except to be made to? :P

And that definition of devout doesn't mean anything practically. Not a critic, just saying. ;)

That's exactly what it means in a practical way, to be committed religiously. I lived it and breathed it all day, every day. Clearly I wasn't an expert on the matter, but I never claimed to be. That's not what being devout means, by the dictionary or in a practical sense. :)